Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BCDEDIT: Will it help fix this mess?

• Please log in to reply

ITgeekIT

ITgeekIT

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I'm working on an unbootable W7 computer.

The attached JPG shows what I see after I run a W7 Recovery disc and get Admin access to BCDEdit via the command line.

First puzzle is that the CMD screen is titled 'Administrator: x:windows\system32\cmd.exe'. Why 'X'? Also, the Command Prompt says 'x:windows\system32>'. Why not C?.

But the main problem is that if I remove the Repair Disc and reboot I get the message:
BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

BCDEdit.jpg

Anyone able to help with editing BCDEdit to solve this situation?

Thanks for reading :-)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

It's X because that is the drive letter assigned to the Recovery OS you are running. You get that when you boot the CD/DVD. You OS is going to be on C: or D: most likely.

Enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is. ENter exit to get out of bcdedit.

Enter chkdsk C: /f to run chkdsk against the boot drive. If it's not C: use the letter from the osdevice line. If chkdsk fixes anything run it again until it shows no error found.

See if that fixes the boot problem.

ITgeekIT

ITgeekIT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks, Ztruker. Didn't think of that explanation for the 'X' reference.

Re the osdevice line (image above), it's partition=C. So you reckon chkdsk /f can fix boot issues? OK, I'll try it.

ITgeekIT

ITgeekIT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

OK, I ran chkdsk c: /f and it found some minor problem regarding free space being incorrectly marked as allocated. Ran it again and it found no problems.

But rebooting still returned the 'Boot Manager is missing' message.

I thought I'd have to rebuild the Boot structure with some clever command like 'bootsect' or 'fixmybootproblemorelse' (or whatever)? No?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Try running Startup repair: https://support.micr...n-us/kb/2622803