Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Recovery (D:) full

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Hello,

I'm helping a friend with a Dell XPS with Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1. Someone gave her the computer but it is set up weird - I think.

You just can't do much with the computer because the memory is almost full. The Recovery (D:) is full - 6.85 MB free of 13.6 GB. The Local Disk (C:) - the bar graph shows about 10% used - 1.26 TB free of 1.35 TB.

There are 3 folders in the Recovery Disk - (1) recovery folder is empty, (2) a folder (doesn't appear as a folder but some icon) with previous owner's name - when you double click that you get; Restore my files from this backup, Restore files for all users of this computer, Manage space used by this backup - (3) Dell folder with 6.47 GB (inside that > Image >Factory.wim

In the Local Disk (C:) there are 4 folders - 3 don't have much in them. The one with former owner's name (Locked!) has 6 GB on it.

What can be done to make this a decent working computer?

I appreciate any help.

bamakodaker

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: bamakodaker

I would perform a Factory Restore, the computer would be as it was when leaving Dell, (don't choose "keep files and setting") wipe everything.

The video is the least worse I could find, but all the steps are there.   The F key used may be different for your XPS, can't tell as you will need to give the actual model number

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You also want to not have System Restore active on the D: Recovery drive. That partition should not be messed with.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I appreciate the help offered but is a Factory Restore the best to do? They are not sure about what all they want to keep on the computer. Doing a restore would mean a lot of hunting and copying to save what ever is needed to keep.

I'm assuming a Factory Restore would then need all the updating and so on?

Thanks,

bamakodaker

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If your friend has recently been given the PC, what info would they want to keep.   The previous owner's  "locked" partition or folder/s and backups would be password protected, and/or encrypted.

A factory restore would require the OS to be updated and drivers if available.

Please go to disk management, expand all fields, take a screenshot  and include in your next reply, so we can see drives in detail.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with additional information.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Edit by paws: sorry iammykyl, I will have to learn to type a little quicker!

Yes you are correct,
however if they have stuff on the computer that they don't want to lose, then it should form part of their regular back up procedures.  so no extra copying should be required....

Yes after the Restore to factory condition, and subsequent updating is complete, and all required applications installed the computer stands a better chance of being reliable and running fast and sweet in the future.

Once it has all been completed then it would be wise to take a disc image and keep several copies safe on removable media, with one extra copy at least kept safe offsite.
Make sure the owner has a method of booting the computer ( in the event that Windows fails to start), so that the disc image can be accessed... making a repair disc would also be a smart move.
Regards
paws

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

iammykyl - I am not familiar with this OS so I don't know what this is or how to do this. I'll go ahead and download Speccy.

paws - You make it sound like the current information could be backed up now? Should I make a System Repair Disk before doing anything now?

Thanks,

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Speccy;

http://speccy.pirifo...ASpDbBSlpf1VQkG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

No worries Paws, Guilty of the same thing.  Thanks for you input.   

Thanks for the URL bamakodaker, I will reply this evening. 

Guide to accessing Disk Management, > http://pcsupport.abo...ent-command.htm 

When open, please go full screen, then take a screenshot and upload. 

To capture and post a screenshot;  Given for members who have not done it before.      

With the image you want displayed on the screen.
> Hold down the ALT key and Press the PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side of the keyboard.   (nothing appears to happen, but the image is copied to the Clipboard.)

> Click on start, > all programs...accessories, > click paint.

In the window that opens, >  left click in the white area  > Hold down CTRL and press V. 

On the top menu, > click File > click Save as, Be sure to save as jpeg,...otherwise it may be to big to upload

save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing.

How to upload a file or image to G2G. 

Click the More Reply Options, (bottom right next to the blue reply button.) > Type in your text.

If the file or image already exists, > Click Choose file... (bottom left)

In the window that opens, > Browse to the file or image you want to upload, > Click the file/image you want, wait for confirmation at bottom left, 

(Repeat if you have more files/images to upload,) > click Reply.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I do appreciate the help.

I'm afraid I'm not getting what you want but I went to Disk Management and this is what I got.

bamakodaker

Attached Thumbnails

• 1screen11-26.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are welcome :thumbsup:    Disk image shows what we need.

You have C6 backup on the computer, not used it myself, you migh have a look at it to see how/if/what you can backup,

Manual from this page, > http://www.clickfree...w/id/C6D#tabs-3

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Is C6 backup something I SHOULD use or is what comes in Windows 7 OS sufficient?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Then again - how could I find C6? It doesn't show on the computer search.

Thanks,

bamakodaker

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry about that, got the wrong program in mind.

Look for C:\programfiles\Clickfree or C:\programdata\Clickfree\FullImagingBackup the manual is at this page, http://www.clickfree...w/id/C6D#tabs-3

Suggested looking at it in case it gives access to useful files.

Yes, use windows own backup, it is good enough.  

If your friend has created her own user profile, any other files on the computer you wish to backup, should be copied to the appropriate folder in her profile and I would only backup her profile.

Before saving the backup, I would perform a virus scan as you don't want any nasties transferred to the clean install. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Have you managed to configure the computer to working order?