Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem issues wee :(

• Please log in to reply

Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Having issues with my PC and 56k Modems. I use an Encore Intel 536 Chipset modem, and have tried a Diamond Supra Max (SM56LE-SL), as well as a US Robotics modem that I can't think of the model off the top of my head and all have given me the same issues. I also tried a Lucent Win Modem that ran on the PC fine without an connection timeout issues, but that modem isn't available to me to keep in my PC, so I'm stuck with the 3 that I've got. Anyways, Anytime I connect to my ISP on my 56k modem the connection will run fine but I'll randomly lose my connection for 15-20 seconds or so and then it'll come back up. I won't get disconnected but I won't be able to use my connection for the time it drops. It's been an ongoing problem for 3 or so months. Fixes I've tried are disabling Windows Firewall, disabling all startup programs, uninstalling Virus scan, 2 ISPs, buncha stuff that my main ISP Recomended (AOL). I don't really recall any major system changes that would've caused the problem. Any help would be great, this issue is really killin' me :tazz:. Another issue I have, whether it's related or not, is when I log in to AOL and it finishes Dialing I won't be able to open any other programs most of the time for anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes. I can do a limited amount of stuff but if I try to open a program nothing will happen, then a little bit later it'll all come up and the PC Runs fine.

Edited by Tonedeaf, 14 June 2005 - 11:37 PM.

Advertisements

Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Tried reformating and reinstalling everything.. and I still get the same issue.. :tazz: