Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory considerations...And...

• Please log in to reply

Herbus

Herbus

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, in a few minutes here I am going to order some DDR memory. I have a DFI lanparty MOBO, it accepts DDR. I'd like to purchase my memory set (1GB) for about $150.00, so that I can purchase a Radeon X800 Pro 256mb graphics card.

I was looking at Mushkin, Kingston... etc.

What is the difference between unbuffered and 'registered' memory?

Anybody with info on the highest quality 1GB of memory to be purchased for under $170.00 please respond,

Check this, critique please

Also, should an OEM SoundBlaster card have the same efficacy of a retail version?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Herbus, 14 June 2005 - 10:02 PM.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
registered memory is basically only needed if the CPU requires it. I think some of the new AMD chips do, but I dont know for sure. look up the requirements of your CPU.

check out newegg.com, they got great prices and fast shipping. kingston, crucial, corsair, and OCZ are all very good ram makers.

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Depends on how much you want to raise your fsb to. Also, take into mind that there is very little performance hit when you use a multiplier if you have an athlon with integrated memory controllers.(on intels, it can get up to 15 percent).

Edited by hacp, 15 June 2005 - 04:52 PM.

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

registered memory is basically only needed if the CPU requires it.  I think some of the new AMD chips do

View Post

only the socket 940 opterons and the older FX53s

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
thank you for that roguecomgeek :tazz:

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

thank you for that roguecomgeek  :tazz:

View Post

welcome ;)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
oh DUDE! natural selection! I freakin love that game. :tazz: havent played it in a while, ever since all the v2.4 servers went away, and I couldnt upgrade to v3.0...but I used to blow entire weekends on that game!
Im tempted to try it again, but I just got sucked into WoW. my life is over... ;)