Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help!

• Please log in to reply

leppi88

leppi88

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there,

i went onto the following website (http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2) last night and tested my pc to see if it was vulnerable to open ports and everything was fine (all stealth rating) and then i somehow changed the configuration on my firewall (zonealarm) and tested this site again and my ports became open!

i am really scared because i dont knopw what i did to change it and i tried a few programs to block the ports again and i couldnt seem to fix the problem.

One thing that i didnt do which i read on a website today was to disable norton and then reinstall zonealarm...would this do the job? i doubt it personally/..will have to try when i get home.

any advise you can give me would help.

i am running XP with all the latest updates and my XP firewall is off as ive been using zonealarm and everything was fine and dandy....now its stuffed in terms of how i am being protected.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone willing to help to contact me at [email protected] asap i would be so grateful.

Advertisements

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Well, you can successfully run SP2 firewall and Zone Alarm at the same time, no harm done. However, did you have Norton installed when you installed Zone Alarm the first time?

-SkyHi

leppi88

leppi88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well i was under the impression that because i have one firewall operating the windows one didnt need to be on...even when i enable it and run a scan through the above site i still have the ports closed (which according to them means they are open for abuse)....

Yes i do think norton was on when i first installed it...

I did a bit of research last night (a lot actually, up until 3am!) and discovered that i may be able to use a firewall called tiny firewall...

i was actually using a cracked version of zonealarms when i accidently reconfigured some setting and then i lost all protection so i uninstalled it and deleted the origin folder

leppi88

leppi88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there,

I was reading the posts about the tiny firewall and was wanting some information and maybe a solution to a problem i have (if you know)...

i went onto the following website (http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2) last night and tested my pc to see if it was vulnerable to open ports and everything was fine (all stealth rating) and then i somehow changed the configuration on my firewall (zonealarm) and tested this site again and my ports became open!

i am really scared because i dont knopw what i did to change it and i tried a few programs to block the ports again and i couldnt seem to fix the problem.

One thing that i didnt do which i read on a website today was to disable norton and then reinstall zonealarm...would this do the job? i doubt it personally/..will have to try when i get home.

any advise you can give me would help.

i am running XP with all the latest updates and my XP firewall is off as ive been using zonealarm and everything was fine and dandy....now its stuffed in terms of how i am being protected.

any help from youself or someone you know would be greatly appreciated

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Please Do NOT double post the same question.. It won't get you help any faster !!

http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=177071

Murray

leppi88

leppi88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Murray,

excuse my ignorance...i have never used this before, i thought i should post again because i couldnt see my post in the main screen..

okay well when you can get to this question or anyone else please get back to me.

cheers,

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Not a problem.. What did you do to your firewall??

If you are using XP, you could do a System Restore back to the day before !!

Murray

leppi88

leppi88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Murray,

I have installed the norton internet security suite and uninstalled zonealarm.

I am not sure what i did to my firewall mate, if i knew id probably be able to fix it.

http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

the above website is the one i used to check my ports and they were once "stealthed" but now are "closed" according to the website...

if you check out the above website you will see what i am talking about.

Anyway, the problem is still current and occurring even after installing norton internet security suite...only ports 21,23 and 80 and currently stealthed...137-139 are not which i am really concerned about.

i dont know what else to tell you in order to get some help but this is driving me nuts.

i have installed mcafee firewall, no use...many other firewalls, no use...

i just want to have my pc blocking all the ports that show up on that website to ensure i am secure.

If you could email me back at [email protected] this is my work email and i can then reply or i can come back on this site....i can never find my post on this site though, no idea....

please help murray.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have just run shields up with zonealarm on XP and it was true stealth, maybe you could download zonealarm and choose fresh install if it gives you the option

leppi88

leppi88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Keith,

I even downloaded a new zonealarm and it didnt work....reinstalling zonalarm has had no effect.

leppi88

leppi88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there...

My ports are vulnerable to hackers and i need some help...(please)

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

The above address is one i went into to check the vulnerability of my ports....

I clicked proceed then under Shieldup!! Services I pressed common ports and let it do a scan on my pc's ports...

i recently did it and it said everything was "stealth" which means its secure...

then i did soemthing with zonealarm or something else and i did this scan again and it comes up as closed, which means no one is accessing the ports but they are volatile to hackers...

i dont know how to get them "stealthed again" :tazz:(((

I installed zonealarms again, no go...put mcafee firewall on, no go...

now i just installed "norton internet security" which has a firewall, antivirus and spammer check but still no luck.

I also went into start, regedit and under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE i look for anything to do with zonealarms, deleted it then reinstalled it, still no go...

i have tried the following programs:

1. mcafee firewall
2. norton firewall
3. hacker smacker
4. tiny personal firewall

etc....

If you have any idea how i can get my ports stealthed again could you please let me know?

thanks.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hi there, leppi88. I have merged three of your threads, and closed three others. Please do not start any more new topics about this problem. I am going to post in the Staff forum, and ask the Experts if someone can try to give you a hand. Please be patient, and someone will be with you as soon as possible! :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Reset the zonealarm database

Uninstall zone alarm

reboot

navigate to c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files.

Reinstall zone alarm

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
This may be difficult

Reset the zonealarm database

Uninstall zone alarm

reboot

navigate to c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files.

Reinstall zone alarm

This is simple,
Remove ZA and anyother firewall software you may hav, besides the XP firewall.
Redownload ZA, whatever flavor you like. Anyway once you have set ZA up configure it as follows.

Open the Zone Alarm control center.
Select the MAIN tab,
Move the slider on both Internet Security Zone
and
. Trusted Security Zone
to the HIGH setting.
Close the control center and reboot your computer, recheck your ports.
An easier way to check for open ports is as follows.
You can also scan your system with a program called Super Scan,
you can download superscan for free from
http://www.foundston...c/superscan.htm
You can also scan other computers or networks with this tool, but dont do that you might make a netadmin or sysadmin mad or something.

When you scan your system first disconnect from the Internet and scan 127.0.0.1
If no ports show up as open your good.

Next open your Internet connection, BUT RUN NO OTNER PROGRAMS THAT ACCESS THE INTERNET (such as a mail client or internet explorer) and run the same scan only this time scan your own IP address, If you dont know your IP address, start>run>
type in : WINIPCFG and press enter
A box will appear look for
IP ADDRESS, remember it and type it in the superscan box for
IP to scan
Start the scan and again if no ports show up as open, good job.

This should solve your problem.

Edited by Metallica, 18 June 2005 - 04:40 AM.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Your Bio said you are running windows XP, if you are this is great and everything is fine, however if you for some reason are rrrunning windows 95, 98 or ME you will need to download this version of super scan here, as the version in the above post is for windows 2000 and XP only. sorry about that.
http://www.foundston...c/superscan.htm

Edited by phybyr0ptyk, 17 June 2005 - 10:55 PM.