Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help a struggling student...project deadline soon

networking IP static IP ethernet

• Please log in to reply

singhk8

singhk8

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi,

Please help me solve this problem that I am stuck with doing my school project:

• Trying to connect a smart meter to a laptop
  • Meter is set to a static IP and has no DHCP option
  • Laptop does not give me access to change IP and is set to 'automatic' IP and gateway.
  • I tried getting admin rights but to no avail
Please help. How do I connect a device on static address to a laptop with auto IP. I tried using USB-Ethernet converter but didn't have rights to install drivers. 

Your help is much appreciated.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Would be simple with admin rights but since you don't have them you can connect both devices to a router with the router IP range already set to include the static IP of the meter.  This should work without question.

Alternatively connect the two together and let Windows assign an IP address in the 169 range (which is the default when it can't get DHCP - it will complain that it can't access the internet but should assign an address in the 169 range).  Use IPCONFIG to see what IP address the laptop has and then change the smart meter to an address in the same range with the same mask.  No Default Route needed.