Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with freezing computer

• Please log in to reply

NightWolfx03

NightWolfx03

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I got this machine I Just put together form parts I got off friends.

The system is as follows:

Soyo SY-P4VGA motherboard
512 Cosair Value Ram DDR266
Pentium 4 2.4 Northwood 512 Cache 533Mhz Bus
40 Gb WD400 hard drive
PNY Geforce FX 5200 128mb DDR
Antec 400 Watt power supply
Antec SOHO case with 6 fans
24x Cdrom

This machine freezes, just locks up, not blue screen, everything on the screen freezes and nothing responds, including the mouse, numlock or any other keyboard commands. I am trying to resolve this problem and I am hoping it's not my motherboard.

Any Ideas?

Advertisements

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
when does it freeze? ie, when you get into windows, while being on for so long, playing certain games, etc?

NightWolfx03

NightWolfx03

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Usually in windows, But it also froze when installing windows ( the second stage of windows install where you enter the cd key and passwords and the like) as well. It also freezes without the video card if I use the onboard video. It can't make it throuh windows up date without freezing. I can't find any task though specifically that makes it freeze either. But I don't think I has froze like this outside of windows. My friend I got the board from said it never did this to him, but he was running Cent Os ( Linux ) on it. I could alwyas try that or if there's any kinda troubleshoting / stress testing programs out there maybe that could make the problem occur and make it easier to figure out.

Edited by NightWolfx03, 15 June 2005 - 06:59 AM.

NightWolfx03

NightWolfx03

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
New News.. Computer Also Frozen when trying to install linux.