Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connectivity problems - I have Windows 7 (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 30 November 2015 - 12:42 PM

To avoid complications deal with only one computer at a time, nothing untoward in your Speccy log for the computer that it was run on so I would suggest that as you are not having any problems at t... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

ShowMe

ShowMe

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

I am having recurring problems with my internet connection. Periodically my connection to internet is broken. All computers: desk top, lap top, iphone and ipad all experience the same problem They are rarely all connected at the same time. Usually only desktop and sometimes ipad. I have had frequent contact with isp (Verizon DHL) and they claim all is OK on their end. I even bought a new modem/router to see if that was the problem. Yesterday I spent a long time on phone with Netgear affiliate checking to see if it was a router problem, no my router is working fine. The "expert" there reconfigured my router and did a Crap CLeaner sweep of my computer to eliminate or erase temp files.

So forgive me if I am in the wrong forum, and please redirect me if I am, but is there any way that my desktop could have a negative effect on my router, causing it to disconnect from internet? Maybe some connectivity driver or something else? I suspect not, but I want to be sure that my PC is not at fault. I am reluctent to change providors because my email address is involved with so much that I do on internet.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello ShowMe,

Before we take a look at your computer can I ask if the Netgear agent mentioned the Netgear Genie software to you, if not take a look here where you can download the PC version and check out your internet connection for yourself.

Acknowledgements to malware removal expert RKinner for passing on the Netgear Genie software information  :thumbsup:

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Well, no, but wghat can I do with it? Is it easy to use? and what will it show? I know some computer stuff, but not in any way a whiz. Because this problem has been going on and off for some time I suspect it is not the router.

What should I do if I download this?

Thanks for the swift response.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You can check the quality of your internet connection, do speed tests and check your router settings among other things.

The user interface is very easy to use and the software results will show if there is a problem with the internet service itself.

Download and experiment with what each test does, it cannot do any harm and can be uninstalled as quick as it installs.

You are welcome  :)

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Well I downloaded it and I guess I should wait until my internet link goes down to analyze. I played a bit, but could see nothing like router settings, except I can see them when i look into router, BUT I have no idea what they mean. Anyway, have a great Thanksgiving, if you celebrate, and I'll be back on Friday if i have any news to report, again, thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You are welcome and a Happy Thanksgiving to you from across the pond here in the UK  :thumbsup:

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Hello again, I do not want to waste your time, but  I have had no reoccurances of losing my connection since we last communticated.I checked out the utility you sent, but I can not see any information that I can use, with my limited knowledge.Should I wait until my system goes down to repost? And please tell me if it is possible for something on one's computer to make the router disconnect from internet. I am stumped and frustrated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You are not wasting anyone's time so please don't think that you are  :no:

No worries about using the utility if you are not comfortable with it, alternatively you can just use the basic features as highlighted in red in my screenshot which shows the quality of the connection, how the computer is connected to the Internet and how many devices are using your network, useful for finding out if someone else is using your network without your knowledge, piggybacking, this can happen in college dorms and apartment buildings and is the reason why it is important to have a secure password which you keep to yourself.

There is more than one reason why a computer can lose internet connection when there is nothing wrong with the hardware or the internet connection itself, driver issues and AV conflicts to name two. 

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s.

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Here it is:

http://speccy.pirifo...4HyNsFYKPUhvjD8

I think I understand what you are saying about  driver issues and AV conflicts, but that would just make the computer involved without internet, why would all other devices also have internet problems.

Anyway, let me know if I did this right.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Just tried Network Genie and it doesn't recognize Windows 10, thinks I have Windows 8.1.

Everything seems to work okay though.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
✓  Best Answer

To avoid complications deal with only one computer at a time, nothing untoward in your Speccy log for the computer that it was run on so I would suggest that as you are not having any problems at the moment that you ensure that you have a new restore point for the stable computer settings that you have and see how that goes, see steps below copy/paste courtesy of Microsoft;

To create a restore point
  1. Open System by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2. In the left pane, click System protection18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.

4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Thanks for this answer. And for all the time it took you to review that long report. I will establish a restore point, and then if my troubles do reoccur I should go back to restored point, yes?  I guess I might also consider that it is my internet provider that is at fault. Anyway, thanks for the reassurance that it is nothing descernable in my computer.

Adios!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You are most welcome  :)

Aye any further problems try a restore point that is before the problem reappeared :thumbsup: 

I would be inclined to agree that it was/is a problem with the ISP service, not necessarily on their behalf and possibly something else interfering with it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Everything still running ok ShowMe.

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Yes all is good. Thanks for the follow-up. I guess you can close this. Great help.