Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor, Keyboard, and Mouse fails to power on. (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 27 November 2015 - 08:36 AM

Jason Schwartz, as I tried to power it back on, everything but the monitor, keyboad, and mouse would seem to work.   Can you tell us what exactly does appear to be... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Jason Schwartz

Jason Schwartz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having an issue with my desktop. Recently, my computer froze and i was forced to restard it manually. Afterwards, as I tried to power it back on, everything but the monitor, keyboad, and mouse would seem to work. The monitor is receiving power, but cannot receive any signal. The mouse and keyboard are connected to USB 3.0 ports and are just not working in general. Everything else seems fine. Please help

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   Jason Schwartz,

as I tried to power it back on, everything but the monitor, keyboad, and mouse would seem to work. 

Can you tell us what exactly does appear to be working, cooling fans running and/or the HDD activity LEDs blinking perhaps.

The monitor is receiving power, but cannot receive any signal

Am I correct that you mean that the monitor is not receiving any signal, if yes, this can happen when an add on video card or the MBs integrated video chip are not working, the screen to display port cable is loose or bad and worse case scenario a CPU that also provides the graphics has failed.

The mouse and keyboard are connected to USB 3.0 ports and are just not working in general.

They USB ports could have somehow been disabled in the BIOS or the ports themselves could be bad, if your MB has the wired PS/2 type mouse and keyboard ports trying a wired keyboard is the first thing that we would suggest there.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, the Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Jason Schwartz

Jason Schwartz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It is a custom built computer.
Specs:
X99s SLI Plus Motherboard
(2) Gtx geforce 970
Intel i7 5930
Supernova nex 750G power supply
(4) evo potenza 8 gb

The case fan and power supply fan and cpu cooler fans and graphic card fans are all working. It seems like one of the USB 3.0 ports seem to be working. This is determined by my mouse lights coming on, but not my keyboard.
Hhd and ssd activity lights come on.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
It seems like one of the USB 3.0 ports seem to be working. This is determined by my mouse lights coming on, but not my keyboard.

Sorry but I have to ask, have you tried the keyboard in the USB port that the mouse appears to be working in, if yes, a bad keyboard can stop a computer from passing the POST so as mentioned you should try a wired type keyboard before anything else, this because any further checks will involve opening up the case and removing components.

BTW: Have you checked the condition of and how securely the video cable is connected at both ends (finger tighten only).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you Jason Schwartz , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Jason Schwartz

Jason Schwartz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Yeah, apparently the issue was with the bios. I manually switched to bios 2 and i worked. Im assuming that when my comp froze and i mashed the keyboard out of frustration, i accidently triggered something. Thank you for your help!!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are most welcome  :)

Glad to hear that we were able to help and thank you for letting us know that all is now well  :thumbsup: