Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't acknowledge monitor and shuts itself off

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

A custom built PC I got from a family friend won't acknowledge a monitor, I only tried one monitor I have avaliable to me. It also shuts itself down by itself. The previous owner said it needed an authenic copy of Windows but looks like it might have some hardware problems? Any ideas what it might be before I take into a shop? I am asking so they won't try to rip me off.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello,

Install an authentic copy of windows, then begin any necessary troubleshooting, anything short of that is working backwards.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Problem is the graphics output won't work, I can install Windows if that won't work.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did the family friend have it hooked to a monitor that worked? If so borrow it for a day and then install a legal Windows. Do all updates, register and activate. Once that is done then try your monitor to see if it works. Are you sure the monitor you are attempting to use works?
Are you sure the system was working when the friend had it? Why is there a unatheticated Windows loaded on the system?

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Did the family friend have it hooked to a monitor that worked? If so borrow it for a day and then install a legal Windows. Do all updates, register and activate. Once that is done then try your monitor to see if it works. Are you sure the monitor you are attempting to use works?
Are you sure the system was working when the friend had it? Why is there a unatheticated Windows loaded on the system?

Her son put it on there, also I know that monitor works, I used it before and it never broke.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I still suggest borrowing the friends monitor and then format and install a legal, registered and activated Windows 10. Make sure all updates are done and then connect your monitor and see if it works. Is your monitor Analog or Digital?
Also can you tell me if your get any screen during bootup or is it blank from the start or after windows starts up? Have you tried booting into safe mode so windows uses a generic video driver?

Hoxtro9988712

Hoxtro9988712

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Well firstly a non-genuine copy of Windows is a no, because you're vulnerable to viruses and unwanted critters. You'll have to find a genuine Windows key to get it activated and secured.

Some reasons why a computer might shutdown by itself might be related to a heat issue or a virus inside your computer. It can also be a cause of a non-genuine copy of Windows: http://www.computerh...es/ch000689.htm

Please Download Speccy and Save it to your Desktop: https://www.piriform...wnload/standard

Tutorial on how to upload it: https://www.piriform...file-to-the-web

Post the link in your next post :)

Edited by Hoxtro9988712, 03 December 2015 - 01:06 AM.