Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Daughters Laptop starts to load but then shuts down (Resolved)

wont load shuts down

Best Answer wylli501 , 09 December 2015 - 07:02 PM

Thanks Guys The compressed air seems to have worked.  The laptop is loading and running okay.  Thanks again. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

wylli501

wylli501

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Please give me suggestions. My daughter's Toshiba Satellite Laptop begins to start but then shuts down. I tried switching to a new battery but that didn't help. Thank you for any suggestions you might have. 

Will

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello wylli501,

One possible cause and common for laptops is over heating. Laptops have vents on the side make sure there not clogged up, I spay mine with compressed air because I'm in a dusty environment and pet hair.

Raise the laptop up balance it on 2 books so air may flow underneath, go as far as placing a fan directly on the Laptop and see what results you get.

Joe

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Tried cleearing the vents but no luck. Thinking the power supply unit may be faulty

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello,

You could try seeing if it will boot to safe mode
1 Restart the computer
2 During restart keep tapping the F8 Key, in an attempt to boot to the Advanced Boot Options Menu (Black screen with white letters)

Give it a go, let us know,

Hoxtro9988712

Hoxtro9988712

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Before ruling that the PSU is at fault, maybe the thermal compound on the heatsink is wearing off. What to expect the manufacturers thermal compound won't last long so replacing that is necessary and also to clean your laptop by opening it up and using a can of pressurized air to blow it out.

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Hi Guys  Trying to get to go into safe mode didn't work so I will try cleaning it out with compressed air.  Thanks for the suggestions.

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks Guys 

The compressed air seems to have worked.  The laptop is loading and running okay.  Thanks again.