Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New GPU, unsure of BIOS Flashing (Resolved)

Best Answer RS12 , 02 December 2015 - 01:33 PM

All being the later technology will hopefully mean that it all plays nicely together. Please keep us posted on your progress.Hey  So, done and finished with changing from a GeForce GTX660... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

RS12

RS12

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hey there O/

Just ordered a new GPU for my PC. I am however, unsure if I need to flash the BIOS. I've tried if I could locate the info on Gigabytes site, but either I am blind, or there is no info regarding my issue.

Mainboard is a:

GA-Z77-DS3H with BIOS version F3

The new GPU is:

Asus GeForce GTX970 4GB STRIX OC PCI-E

There is a newer BIOS version available, but I really would like to skip that part if possible (never tried it before) So I basically just want to know, if my current version will function with the new card, or if I should flash it.

Cheers and thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:    RS12,

Some confusion perhaps between upgrading a CPU (processor) and a GPU (video card)!

You do not need to flash the BIOS to be able to use the new video card in your MB, as long as your PSU is powerful enough, has two 6 pin PCI-E connectors available**, there is enough room inside of the case and you install the drivers correctly you will have no problems, ask here if you do.

Flashing/upgrading the BIOS is always a last resort when attempting to fix a bad MB but it is sometimes required prior to upgrading certain CPUs. 

Hope this puts your mind at ease  :thumbsup:

** RS12 has advised that the Strix card uses a single 8 or 6+2 pin connector.

RS12

RS12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hey :)

Not confused :) Got told by the place where I original purchased my computer parts, and where I am ordering the new GPU from, that I might had to do it. To be honest, I have changed graphic cards before and never had need to that. However, I thought it might make sense, given the age difference between my mainboard and the new card.

PSU should do fine. Raidmax RX-700AC 80 Bronze Ceritfied.

Anyways, thanks for answering, and I'll see how it goes.

Cheers :)

ps: The ASUS STRIX model uses a 8-pin connector, and not 2x6.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Both the MB and video card are PCI-E 3.0 so perhaps they are concerned about the compatibility of your particular CPU, an Ivy Bridge CPU should be fine but a Sandy Bridge may not be, regardless I would try the card first before upgrading the BIOS in case the upgrade goes wrong.

PSU is all good.

Aye the stock Nvidea card is 2 X 6 pin PCI-E and your card a single 8 pin and thanks for pointing that out  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)

RS12

RS12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hey again :)

My CPU is an i5-3570k Ivy Bridge, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll try it out, worst case scenario is that it won't start, in which case I "just" flash (already have the BIOS downloaded to USB)

And you are welcome (it is a jungle out there) :thumbsup:

Cheers :wave:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

All being the later technology will hopefully mean that it all plays nicely together.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

RS12

RS12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
✓  Best Answer

All being the later technology will hopefully mean that it all plays nicely together.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Hey :)

So, done and finished with changing from a GeForce GTX660Ti to the new Asus GeForce GTX970 STRIX model. It wasn't, however not entirely without problems. Good news is, it didn't require a BIOS flashing.

After inserting the new card, I tried powering up, and it got stuck at the BIOS splash screen. I let it run, and it eventually switched to black screen with a blinking underscore cursor. Couldn't at no point, access BIOS from there (just got some short beep's)

Switched to old card, booted up to access BIOS.

Once in BIOS, I changed the following settings;

PEG - Gen X from Auto to Gen 3

PCI ROM Priority from EFI to Legacy ROM

Exit and save

Turned off the computer after it booted with those settings (still old card in)

Removed old card, inserted new card

And it booted to windows (yea !!)

Next problem tho, was that it didn't want to install the new Nvidia driver, from either of downloaded Nvidia or the default from Windows. Turns out, that somehow my onboard graphic had kicked in during all that messing around with the cards. Once I disabled that in BIOS, the downloaded Nvidia driver installed without problems.

So, it turned out fine, altho, if one doesn't have at least a bit of knowledge regarding BIOS and such, I could see this be utter frustration :smashcomp:

As a final note, the card just about fit in my case. I had measured it out beforehand, but there isn't much wiggle room tho :prop:

http://i.imgur.com/HkmuPqe.jpg

Connector is 6+2 pin and all voltages etc. looks good.

Hope someone might able to use this info, when switching from old'ish GPU to a newer one. And thanks for the bit of help from here, since I really was in doubt if a flash BIOS was needed, and it wasn't, so all good :)

Cheers from Denmark :wave:

Edited by RS12, 02 December 2015 - 01:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

A job well done on your behalf RS12 and thank you sharing your upgrade information so that it may help others  :thumbsup:

Your reply #7 may not concern your initial BIOS upgrade question but I feel that due to its informative content it should be marked as best answer, this will make it more apparent to others searching for help with the same or a similar issue, hope you don't mind.

RS12

RS12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

A job well done on your behalf RS12 and thank you sharing your upgrade information so that it may help others  :thumbsup:

Your reply #7 may not concern your initial BIOS upgrade question but I feel that due to its informative content it should be marked as best answer, this will make it more apparent to others searching for help with the same or a similar issue, hope you don't mind.

I don't mind at all :)

Take care.

Cheers :wave:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:thumbsup: