Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to upgrade Motherboard and Processor, help! (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 01 December 2015 - 04:50 PM

GTA 5 and Just Cause 3 are the most demanding and to get the best of either game an 8 core CPU is recommended, will go see what I can find within your budget, GTA 5 recommended system requirements... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

taxwizz

taxwizz

• Pip
  • 6 posts

so I recently got gifted to me 16GB of RAM that is:  HyperX FURY Series 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit. This RAM will work with my current motherboard, which is a MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine). The issue now is, I am looking to upgrade my CPU, because it is horribly out of date and I feel it limits the games I can run to their full potential.

My question is does anyone know of a decent motherboard and CPU that is ALSO compatible with the RAM mentioned above, and also the GPU(mentioned below)?

For anyone wondering, my specs are as follows : 

Geforce GTX 660 

AMD A10-5700 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics

16.00 GB RAM

1920x1080, 60hz monitors (2)

Windows 10 Home OS

Any help is much appreciated and the price range i'm looking at is roughly 200-300 for the CPU and motherboard, respectively.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   taxwizz,

Finding a MB and CPU will not be too difficult for us but we need to clear a couple of things up first;

The MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine) is an uATX OEM MB used by HP, the smaller uATX type MBs are often used in SFF (small form factor) cases so it is important that we know the type of case you have so we can suggest the appropriate size MB.

If you upgrade the MB in an OEM computer such as a HP you must also purchase a new Windows product key, the original OS product key is tied to the MB that it was paired with and it is not transferable.

Can you tell us the model name or number of your computer.

FWIW, that is not a bad CPU that you have, consider this alternative, keep the MB and CPU, avoid having to purchase a new Windows licence key ($80-100) upgrade the dated Geforce GTX 660 and most likely the PSU for under $300.

taxwizz

taxwizz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi there,

http://h20564.www2.h...mr_na-c03520531This is the computer I had originally bought and the model is called HP Pavillion p7-1455 Desktop.

I don't think I will consider keeping the CPU if there is a better alternative because I cannot run most of the games I would like to due to the limits of the CPU I have already. The GTX 660 is fine for the moment being, but that you for the suggestion.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello taxwizz,

Your CPU is fine for most games and I am not exactly sure why you think that it is not, perhaps I am missing something so can you tell us! 

I don't think I will consider keeping the CPU if there is a better alternative 

The only CPU upgrade available without changing the board is simply not worth it Trinity Quad-Core A10-5800K the alternative you are considering of upgrading both the MB and CPU as I have mentioned will mean that you must purchase a new Windows OS disk/product key, cheapest of any OS that I could find Windows 7 here costs a little more 8.1 here

Can you tell us what games you wish to play and at what settings.

taxwizz

taxwizz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I plan to upgrade the motherboard, as mentioned in the original post. A new purchase of Windows isn't an issue. Just wondering if there is a good motherboard and CPU that will also be able to use my GPU, which is  GTX 660. Thanks for your input

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Your GPU is compatible with a phenomenal amount of MBs but at the same time it is slow compared to your new Ram and will cause you a bottleneck.

Can you tell us what games you wish to play and at what settings.

I am trying to save you time and money here btw  :(

I included The same Ram as you mention in your OP to show that what I have suggested is compatible with it, deduct its cost and you are at around $300 Can taxwizz MB and CPU

taxwizz

taxwizz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

my apologies! I didn't even see the link(s) that you posed. Also, the games I am looking to run are as follows :

Grand Theft Auto V with mods

Skyrim with mods

Minecraft (not vanilla;mods)

Star Wars:Battlefront

Call of duty : Black ops III

Just Cause 3

Metro : Last Light

Arma 3

H1Z1

That's most of them there, and I would like 60 FPS stable if possible. My monitors cap off at 60Hz so i don't think there is a point of going over 60 fps, is there? :/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

GTA 5 and Just Cause 3 are the most demanding and to get the best of either game an 8 core CPU is recommended, will go see what I can find within your budget, GTA 5 recommended system requirements here

Aye your screen is only as good as your hardware spec will allow it to be and vice versa.

Edited list here

MB and CPU compatibility checked here

Edited by phillpower2, 01 December 2015 - 05:11 PM.
Edited parts list added.

taxwizz

taxwizz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Im more or less going to play H1Z1 and Arma 3 the most but i figured they are all around the same in regards to demanding performance. When I play h1z1 now on lowest settings, i get like 25 FPS

Hoxtro9988712

Hoxtro9988712

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Also I think you'll need a newer GPU as Black Ops 3 requires a GTX 680 or later. Your's is a 660 so it won't work.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Im more or less going to play H1Z1 and Arma 3 the most but i figured they are all around the same in regards to demanding performance. When I play h1z1 now on lowest settings, i get like 25 FPS

How are things going with the upgrades taxwizz.

taxwizz

taxwizz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

After christmas I will be ordering the two upgrades you suggested. I appreciate your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are most welcome  :)

Let us know how the upgrades work out and any questions along the way please ask away.