Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Format my Laptop?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a six month old Toshiba Satellite P30. Nice machine, but it has so much installed crap that really slows it down. I'd like to reformat with my own copy of XP Pro to speed it up and streamline it. This is my first notebook computer, so I'm not sure if I need all the stuff that Toshiba puts on, such as TouchPad drivers etc... Any suggestions or ideas about problems I could run into would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Phyrie

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
HI and welcome to Geeks to Go. Before you decide to re-format, try going to start, run and type msconfig. Remove all of those unneeded programs from your start up. This will probably help. Have you checked to make sure the machine is free of malware? We have an excellent malware removal guide here that will help you do this. See the link at the top of the forum. If you do decide to re-format, it could be easy or it could be a challenge, no guarantee either way. Make sure you backup all of your data first and get all of the Toshiba drivers you will need first. You should be able to use add/remove programs to get rid of the unwanted programs. Reformat should be the last option, not the first.