Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

possible malware on computer [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

lisam4

lisam4

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I ran a malwarebytes scan for the first time today and it found 588 types of  PUP.optional.CenturyLinkTB type programs that say it could be a positional threat.

My internet is through century link and I also use this as my email.  So if I delete these threats would it mess anything up as far as my email,  internet, or computer?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go! My nickname is Pystryker :) , and I will be helping you with your issue today.

Before we get started, I have a few things I need to go over with you
  • If you are receiving help for this issue at another forum, please let me know so I can close this thread.
  • Please download to and run all requested tools from your Desktop.
  • Please do not install any new software during the cleaning process other than the tools I provide for you. This can hinder the cleaning process.
  • At the top of your post, please click on the "Follow this topic" button and make sure that the "Received notification" box is checked and set to "Instantly" This will send an email to you as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to solve your problem faster.
  • If any of your security programs give you a warning about any tool I ask you to use, please do not worry. All the links and tools I provide to you will be safe.
  • Please do not run any tools other than the ones I ask you to, when I ask you to. Some of these tools can be very dangerous if used improperly. Also, if you use a tool that I have not requested you use, it can cause false positives, thereby delaying the complete cleaning of your machine.
  • This is a complicated process. It requires several steps, patience, and careful following of my instructions in the order they are given to diagnose your problems to get your machine back in working order.
  • Please stay with me until the end of all steps and procedures and I declare your system clean. Just because there is a lack of symptoms does not indicate a clean machine. I promise to do the same for you.
  • It is impossible for me to know what interactions may happen between your computer's software and the tools we will use to clean your machine. Therefore, I highly recommend you backup any critical personal files on your machine before we start.
  • If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question when dealing with malware.
  • If you are unsure of an instruction I give you, or if something unexepected occurs, Do NOT proceed! Stop and ask for clarification of the instruction or tell me what occurred.
  • Please remember, the fixes are for your machine and your machine ONLY! Do not use these fixes on any other machine, each fix is tailor made for your system only. Using a fix on another machine can and will cause serious damage.
  • Once we have cleaned your machine, we'll have some cleanup and prevention steps to go through. We will also provide you with some information about how to reduce your chances of infection and get some protections in place to help defend you against this in the future
  • Please be patient while I am analyzing your logs. I know you are probably scared and very frustrated with this problem, but I am a volunteer and sometimes life does get in the way. :)
Now, let's get started, shall we? :thumbsup:

I wouldn't remove anything just yet, let's get some scans and we'll proceed from there. :)

Step 1: Scan with Farbar's Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)

Please disable your antivirus for the duration of my instructions. Don't forget to re-enable them after you have completed the steps.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Place a check in the box marked Addition.txt

farbarmainpanel_zps77bf9e25.jpg
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.
Things I need to see in your next post:

Please post each of these logs as a separate reply in this thread.

FRST Log

Addition.txt Log

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.