Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! WHAT IS TRAYAPP?

• Please log in to reply

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
:tazz:
I updated & ran all the programs for suspected spyware/malware; I added RegistryFix from a recommendation on g2g site; wound up restoring the backup I made because the system went totally wrong. I do not know what I am doing.

Now, things are even worse. Every time I restart or log on Windows Installer starts up then something that says TrayApp at the top of the box says "please wait while windows configures TrayApp"; another box opens that says "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the 'TrayApp' disk and click OK." in another part of that same box is an open slot where it says: "Use source" & is pre-filled in with the number '1', beside there is the option to Browse.

What is going on????? As many times as I cancel it returns again & again & again. Eventually it ends but I have no idea what this means. I have tried inserting every CD from my Dell software & the MS office software; nothing works.

What do I do now? how can I SAFELY clean up my registry (registryfix found over 200 errors) and on top of it all, if I try to run Norton Systemworks One Button checkup, the system simply freezes up when it checks the Registry.

I think I have really messed things up & don't know how I did it or what to do to fix it. I thought restoring the backup from before I ran registryfix would work & all would be back to the sloooooooow way it was before; I was very mistaken.

Can anyone help? Please please please & thank you thank you thank you for any help you can give.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have an HP Printer then load the HP CD when it asks for trayapp

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Keith - this worked beautifully! thanks so much for your time & help! :tazz:

You are aces!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for letting me know

souzan

souzan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Keith, this has also worked for me. You are a star (Kiss)

Suzanne Deal-Fitzgerald

Suzanne Deal-Fitzgerald

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Your advice continues to work. Thank you so much! I have spent all afternoon trying to figure out what "trayapp" was, and had gotten to the point my computer would not shut off, unless I physically unplugged the electricity.

I know now to come here first. Have a terrific week!

jwgroves

jwgroves

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) Thanx, UR fix is still working like a charm........again, thanx for the great advise! :)

vikingprincess

vikingprincess

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you so much for this post!!

I am computer challenged, well... I know enough to get me into trouble at least. I had this problem for a week after un-installing my HP printer items. My husband had bought a new printer & installed it, right after we kept getting error messages. I wanted to start from scratch and re-install everything myself. But, after un-installing the HP items I kept getting the TrayApp error message as well.

I asked everyone who'd listen, even asked an IBM geek and no one could help me.

Hats Off, your a prince! And this Site is a Treasure to be found!! I just booked marked it for any more "challenges" I stumble upon.

Edited by vikingprincess, 26 February 2008 - 03:27 PM.

Riyhana81

Riyhana81

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, what if I have a hp printer that was plug and play, it didnt come with a cd? how do I get rid of the trayapp that opens everytime I log on or restart my com?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi Riyhana81, welcome.

Read this: http://www.help2go.c...rayApp.msi.html

Sounds like you can download the latest and greatest driver for your HP printer then install it and that should resolve the problem.

If you can't find what you need, post the model number of your printer and I'll see if I can find it for you.

Advertisements

jegi

jegi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:)
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU !

I too had this same "TrayApp" problem. I had installed a new Epson printer and everything was working fine. After a while I wanted to try to clean up my computer to hopefully make it run faster, so uninstalled all old printers. Had no problems until I uninstalled my last HP printer. Then got the dreaded "TrayApp" problem.

Called a local computer tech and he gave me a long list of things to download and try. I was overwhelmed and in tears. Decided to try to find a better (easier) solution on the internet, and found you.

Although I no longer have an HP printer, I did still have the disk and decided to try it. It worked instantly and I haven't had a problem since.

I bookmarked (and registered) this site right away, and it will be my bible for now on.

With grateful appreciation from a very novice computer owner.

Tracy6669

Tracy6669

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi im Tracy6669 and am having the same problem with trayapp. Did you solve the problem and if you did how?? please help im tearing my hair out. :)

jegi

jegi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:)
Hi Tracy6669,
I understand your frustration. Even though I no longer have an HP printer (do have my HP printer installation disk though), the previous posts helped me out of this mess. When you start your computer and get the dreaded "TrayApp" message which says a disk needs to be used, just put your HP printer installation disk in the disk drive, hit 'OK', and in a few seconds your problem should be solved.
If you do not have an HP printer disk any longer, then I'm afraid I don't know what advise to give you. Hope you still have it, and it works as well for you as it did for me.
Good Luck!

Tracy6669

Tracy6669

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there Jeqi. thank you so much for your help it's worked! you're a star thank you very much. x

judyjohnson624

judyjohnson624

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been getting theTrayApp runaround message too. Thank you for saving my sanity!