Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Thermal paste

Best Answer paws , 03 December 2015 - 08:56 AM

If you look at the site you linked to you will see that TIM ( thermal Interface Material) is generally included in the kit. ( preinstalled) With regard to your 2012 rig if you purchased the mo... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Lokhe

Lokhe

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

I was reading around a bit and was surprised by the mention of thermal paste in relatively new topics. When I built my first rig in 2012 I used an Intel i5-3450 Ivy Bridge CPU which came with the processor (surprise!) and a stock cooler. No where in the box did I find any thermal paste and just assumed that such scary things were probably not used anymore. The rig is still running like a dream by the way...

Looking to build a new rig now with the new i5 6600k Skylake CPU and neither that nor the cooler I've looked out ( http://www.newegg.co...=9SIA68V2326642) mentions anything about thermal paste. So, what's all this talk about it? Have I missed the most obvious thing ever?

-Lokhe

Edited by Lokhe, 03 December 2015 - 05:09 AM.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts
✓  Best Answer

If you look at the site you linked to you will see that TIM ( thermal Interface Material) is generally included in the kit. ( preinstalled)

With regard to your 2012 rig if you purchased the mobo complete with CPU and heatsink then the TIM would have been preinstalled

Using TIM is not really " old fashioned"... :D

Hope that helps

Regards

paws

Lokhe

Lokhe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

If you look at the site you linked to you will see that TIM ( thermal Interface Material) is generally included in the kit. ( preinstalled)

With regard to your 2012 rig if you purchased the mobo complete with CPU and heatsink then the TIM would have been preinstalled

Using TIM is not really " old fashioned"... :D

Hope that helps

Regards

paws

Hmm, couldn't find anything about TIM so I must be blind. I see, so it's basically on there already.

I installed the heat sink myself on the other rig too but it must have come pre-installed on that one as well then.

Thanks for clearing that up :P

Edited by Lokhe, 03 December 2015 - 09:01 AM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts

:thumbsup: