Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Flashing browser and crazy letter typing virus

• Please log in to reply

Crazy North

Crazy North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

So i have to buy a new drive after all..:/

What about the problems ive been having, they caused by the drive or? I still see no pattern in how they appear and disappear...Guess they are likely to return?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,031 posts
  • MVP

It's possible that the drive is the root cause.  Lots of errors and so far it's the only thing that looks bad.  It's pretty old for such a large drive.  My experience with the bigger drives has not been good.  Had to send a new Western Digital Blue 4 TB back because it was already bad when I got it.  Had a Seagate 2 TB fail hard after 6 months.  Lost a lot of data since I figured since it was new I could wait on backing it up.  Currently running a Western Digital black 2 TB in my HP All In One.  So far no errors.  Just built a new PC with a 250GB SSD and a 1 TB Western Digital Blue.  Windows is on the SSD and all of the data goes to the 1 TB.  SSD is the way to go if you have a Windows DVD..  That thing is superfast booting and even browsing is much faster.  Newegg has been having really good prices on the 250 GB SSDs. Around $50 and I just picked up a 500 GB SSD for about $100.  Going to put it in the All in One

One thing we haven't checked is the memory.  Sometimes that can be flaky.  Try running the built=in memory test:

http://www.sevenforu...stics-tool.html

Or better run the memtest86+ for at least 6 passes:

http://www.memtest.org/

Crazy North

Crazy North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

I did the first one coz it seemed easier, no errors found..

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,031 posts
  • MVP

There is a chance that the video is overheating and going crazy.  You can also run speedfan:

Download, save and Install it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin)

It will tell you your temps in real time. (If you click on Configure then on Core - or in your case the video might be the better choice) you can check Show in Tray then OK  and even when minimized it will show the chosen temp in the system tray (near the clock),  If you don't see it then Windows is hiding it.  Click on the up arrow to the left of the icons near the clock and  Customize.  Find Speedfan and change it to Show Icons and Notifications.  )

If that's not it then I  would try cloning the hard drive.  Cheaper than taking it to a repair shop which will probably tell you there is nothing wrong unless it goes crazy while it's there.  

Crazy North

Crazy North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

I attached the screenshot of the temperatures, could you say if you see something odd.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Edited by Crazy North, 14 December 2015 - 06:31 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,031 posts
  • MVP

Temps look good.  GPU is the one we want to watch.  Doesn't look like it will go over 50 any time soon.

What does the warning say about the hard disk?

Crazy North

Crazy North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

in9x:NO  64Bit:YES  GiveIO:NO  SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked Intel Patsburg SMBUS at $F000
Found nVidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Linked nVidiaI2C0 SMBUS at $3D403E3F
Linked nVidiaI2C1 SMBUS at $3D403637
Linked nVidiaI2C2 SMBUS at $3D405051
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=IT8728F
Linked ISA BUS at $0A30
Scanning Intel SMBus at $F000...
Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403E3F...
Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403637...
Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D405051...
Scanning ISA BUS at $0A30...
IT8728F found on ISA at $A30
Found SCSI drive ST1000DM003-9YN1 (1000.2GB)
ProbeSCSI: WARNING: hard disk skipped because of invalid returned LogSense data
Found Intel® Core™ i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz
End of detection
Loaded 0 events

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,031 posts
  • MVP

Apparently this is common with some drives and usually just a temporary error but let's check.

Run Speedfan and click on the  S.M.A.R.T. tab  then select your hard drive by clicking on the down arrow to the right of the box.  It should show your hard drive  S.M.A.R.T. info.  

Click on Perform an in-depth online analysis of this hard drive.   It will open a webpage.  Near the bottom it says:  The link to get back....is this.  Right click on the underlined this and: copy link address  then move to a reply and paste it in (Ctrl + v)

Crazy North

Crazy North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Theres no hard disk to choose from the dropdown...

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,031 posts
  • MVP

Guess it really can't read your drive for some reason.  I think that's another sign that's it's time to replace it.

Advertisements

Crazy North

Crazy North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

[bleep]...and only 3 years have passed :D

What do you recommend that i should take? I should take both the SSD to put Windows on and a new drive for other data? Do you think i could do it all with about 100 euros?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,031 posts
  • MVP

No idea what things cost in Euros but it's possible.  I got a 250 GB SSD from Newegg for a bit over $65 but they have had some 250 GB SSD's for about $40 on their holiday specials.  1 TB  standard drive from Amazon is around $50.  At least if it doesn't solve your problem you will have a faster system.

Crazy North

Crazy North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

I just hope it doesn't die meanwhile...You never know with drives.

Thanks for all your help RKinner! :)