Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Public IP Address vs ISP Wan Address

• Please log in to reply

jefferj54

jefferj54

• Pip
  • 2 posts

What is the purpose of a Public IP address assigned to your network? What is the difference between that Public IP address (You can see on What's My IP Address, for example), and the ISP address that is designated to your wireless router?

My reason for asking, is that I tried to set up Windows Remote Desktop (Sucessfully) and a standard Windows VPN with a public IP address (unsucessfully).

I saw a YouTube video where the guy used his public (What's My IP Address) address, to set up the Windows VPN. I tried the same thing but was unsucessful. Why? I used the ISP Wan IP Address (router) sucessfully with Remote Desktop as I mentioned previously, but have not been able to sucessfully set up Windows VPN with either Wan IP Address. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

joe.

Edited by jefferj54, 04 December 2015 - 03:30 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Your router or your firewall may be blocking the port used for your VPN.  Do you know what port it uses in each direction?

jefferj54

jefferj54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Your router or your firewall may be blocking the port used for your VPN.  Do you know what port it uses in each direction?

Both 3389 and 1723 have been port forwarded.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

When I go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ it shows my IPv6 address which is sort of worthless.  You probably need the IPv4 address which is what http://checkmyip.com/ seems to provide.