Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replaced laptop hard drive, doesnt boot. (solved)

laptop hard drive boot asus x54c black screen

Best Answer Draelen , 05 December 2015 - 07:34 AM

Update: Its now fixed, screen tells me to select boot device. Problem was from the cpu lock not tight enough. Seems like the contact points were loose, and using a flat head, was able to set the lo... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Draelen

Draelen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My internal hard drive were making clicking noises and since then my laptop got very slow. I finally decided to replace the hard drive (much less expensive than a new laptop). After putting in the new hard drive, now the system wont boot up, the screen remains black. Im not sure whats going on, but shouldnt it at least show the BIOS?

Stuff I tried:
Hooked up another monitor, nothing there.
Retried the previous Hard Drive, no luck.
Disassembled and cleaned it altogether, still nothing.

The laptop powers on, no doubt. What I discovered, is that the HDD Led isnt blinking. So this might be Hard Drive related.
I dont have much idea about booting up, but isnt it on the motherboard? Does replacing the Hard Drive affect it?

Laptop: Asus X54C, Intel Pentium B970.

Advertisements

Hoxtro9988712

Hoxtro9988712

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

It could be that it's not plugged in properly.

Another problem might be the RAM sticks. Cheap laptops like that have weak RAM sticks so a little solution is to take one stick of RAM out at one time and then test it with the other RAM stick.

If that doesn't work then it'll be time to dig into some real business :)

Draelen

Draelen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
✓  Best Answer
Update: Its now fixed, screen tells me to select boot device. Problem was from the cpu lock not tight enough. Seems like the contact points were loose, and using a flat head, was able to set the lock tighter.

Hoxtro9988712

Hoxtro9988712

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Glad you got it fixed :)

Draelen

Draelen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah I was getting worried it'd be more complicated than that. Oh well, thanks for the replies anyhow.

And for the record, i kinda doubted it was the ram. This laptop was quite expensive for its time, so hurray for sturdy long life hardware.

Edited by Draelen, 05 December 2015 - 10:24 PM.

Hoxtro9988712

Hoxtro9988712

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

That is why I never trust refurbished Hardware. :)