Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Internet TWC

• Please log in to reply

msbug

msbug

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

I am an idiot when it comes to these things. I have a laptop, smart tv and tablet. I use Time Warner. We are charged for internet service and extra for wireless. If I just say I want internet service, will my computer and tv work without having to plug it into the router? I don't understand why you have to have both?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

In order to access the internet via WiFi (wirelessly), you need a WiFi (wireless) signal within range of each of your devices.

In order to access the internet wired, you would need an Ethernet cable connected from your Time Warner modem/router to each one of the devices you wanted connected to the internet.

I don't believe I've ever seen a tablet with an Ethernet port; same for TVs. They only have WiFi capability built-in. Most laptops today do still have an Ethernet port, as well as built-in WiFi.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Thank you. I was wondering, because TWC charges one price for internet and an additional one for wireless. It was like $72 without phone or internet. I was confused.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

One your Internet Service Provider's Cable|DSL modem is up and running, you can then attach your own wired and/or wireless router to it to share that internet connection with all of your devices.

PCMag > The 10 Best Wireless Routers of 2015

Edited by SpywareDr, 11 December 2015 - 10:32 AM.