Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apartment Security.

Security Camera

• Please log in to reply

Jiblet

Jiblet

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have a one bedroom apartment in a large apartment complex. My apartment has wifi / internet.  I am looking for a camera to record when i'm gone.  I have a  new Chromebook and a old android smartphone "moto g" that i take with me. I do not own a PC. I just need a camera to record my living room and I can watch the recording incase something were to happen. doing little bit of searching for security camera I was overwhelmed with all the options. I am sure the more options out there the better but for me I don't understand most.   Video sent to phone, cloud, alarm, multi camera, dvr, IR, etc... etc...    

I do not need to have hooked up to internet, or view from my phone, these are perks but not a must,  with my chromebook and my phone as my only tech, any recomendations on a security camera?

Again i'm looking for a single camera that records my livingroom/front door, and if a incident did occur I would be able to view the recordings. My max budget is 450$  no subscriptions.

ps. don't have to record all time, can record once someone comes in

I am a complete tech idiot,   simple is best for me.

Jim

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

https://nest.com/camera/meet-nest-cam/ dropcam is a new product from nest (or a product that nest bought) that's a web connected security camera that you can view from y our phone or computer or anywhere, also has cloud storage. not the cheapest product on the market but it get's good reviews and it has the advantage of having the cloud storage available.

if you've got an old cellphone laying around that has a reasonable camera there are quite a few apps around that can turn it into a security/webcam for stuff like this. doesn't have to have service, it can connect to your wireless network and go from there