Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen and desktop has gone blue? (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 February 2016 - 05:54 AM

You are welcome   Can you let us know if you consider your question as answered please so that the thread can be marked accordingly  Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

dan7brit

dan7brit

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi, not sure if I am posting in the right forum, but my desktop and computer screen has gone blue suddenly? 

I have checked my monitor and no problem there.

I have checked device manager for my graphics card and all other systems and they are all reporting "working properly".

I have updated and upgraded my graphics card (Nvidi GeForce 6150SE) and still no luck.

I have checked previous Wins updates and none have been done prior to the problem

I have not downloaded any apps or programs prior to the problem

I have run my anti-virus and Wins update in exasperation, and still no luck

Anyone have any ideas what else I can do? Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello dan7brit,

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode only (no networking) to see if the issue was still present, if no, please try it and post back with an update.

Can you post the brand and model name or number for your MB, the Ram (including the amount) and your PSU.

The Nvidi GeForce 6150SE as you will be aware is rather old and this could be a sign that it needs replacing, not saying it definitely is just suggesting that you keep it in mind.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Safe boot without networking was normal - dark screen with no blueish tinge

PC Doctor / HP diagnostics indicated no problems with HD, RAM or CPU

CPU - 2.3 GhZ AMD Athlon 64X2 dual core 4440+

RAM - DDR2 SDRAM 4GB

There is now also intermittent on and off screen display

From that I gather my graphics card is on the way out?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Can you post the brand and model name or number for your MB, the Ram (including the amount) and your PSU.

Can we also have this information.

From that I gather my graphics card is on the way out? 

That is not certain yet, you have a normal screen in Safe Mode so it could be driver/software related, at the same time it could be hardware related because when in Safe Mode the computer is under less load and a flaky component can sometimes appear to be working normally. 

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi, thanks for your help. 

Motherboard:  AsusTEK NARRA3  (temperature reading was 54 centigrade)

Power supply unit: Bestec ATX-300-122

CPU temperature reading was 86 centigrade

Interesting enough the problem has ceased since I unplugged all my leads, turned off the power, and opened the back of my computer to look at the PSU name, and then rebooted.

Could it be a monitor lead problem??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Thanks for the additional info  :thumbsup:

Your video is provided by an Nvidea chip that is integrated into the MB, an Nvidea GeForce 6150SE chip to be precise so there is no add on video card to deal with.

Power supply unit: Bestec ATX-300-122

Complete junk Im afraid and may be contributing to the issue, see below;

CPU temperature reading was 86 centigrade

Your CPU is frying as the temp should not exceed 65°C, this can cause the type of problem that you are having and in turn a flaky PSU could be putting out too higher voltage.

Interesting enough the problem has ceased since I unplugged all my leads, turned off the power, and opened the back of my computer to look at the PSU name, and then rebooted.

Could it be a monitor lead problem??

Entirely possible that it was a loose video cable but at the same time your hardware will be cooler due to the case being opened up.

How dusty is/was it inside of the case.

With the case still opened up we should take a look at the temps and voltages;

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi, I have followed the instructions and made a screenshot and saved it as a jpeg on my desktop. However, for the life of me, I cannot work out how to upload it here! There does not seem to be an upload button??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

See attachment below;

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I think I have got it!

Attached Thumbnails

• fan speed pic.jpg
  • monitor screen shot.jpg

Edited by dan7brit, 13 December 2015 - 02:13 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

No PSU voltage readings showing so of little help to us I'm afraid  :(

If you wish to keep Speedfan, uncheck the Automatic fan speed box.

Speedfan shows high CPU usage for a computer that is idle.

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

I will provide some additional info once we have taken a look at the BIOS readings.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Advertisements

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi,

my BIOS did not have the PC health section or anything on the voltages!  Could it be an old version (Phoenix version 5.11; year 2008)???

I have tried to look for some software to help but keep getting directed to the one's you mentioned, and that do not have the voltages! 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello dan7brit,

You could be right, just read the thread here where the OP who has the same MB said " My BIOS has no facility for tweaking, it doesn't even show temps or RPM's."

Lets try something else, see my canned text below;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

The F2 bypass key does not work nor does any of the others apart from the F10 which I have already tried.

http://speccy.pirifo...6FTq4CtSAPwb3T8

Edited by dan7brit, 10 December 2015 - 03:28 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

How is the computer behaving at present.

I asked in my reply #6

How dusty is/was it inside of the case.

Can you let us know the answer to this.

The readings I was hoping for are not reported by Speccy either  :(

Am I imagining things or did you also attach a HWMonitor screenshot to your reply #9, either way can we have a screenshot of HWMonitor so we can at least check the voltages that it does pick up.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

HI, It is behaving normally. Yes, it was  bit dusty but I cleaned it.  I will re-attach the HW monitor screen shot.

Edited by dan7brit, 13 December 2015 - 02:14 PM.