Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cryptowall Virus

• Please log in to reply

Aarcam

Aarcam

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Dear Geeks,

I've recently had some problems with the cryptowall virus, or "save_your_files virus".

I followed many different procedures, which I've found on the net, trying to avoid the fake ones.

Please, mind that currently I have no important files on this pc, so I don't need to restore them (which seems to be the real problem). I just want to have a 100% healthy pc.

What I tried:

The number 5 of this guide

https://malwaretips....ncrypted-virus/

which is to say: 

-Malwarebytes (it found cryptowall -about 6 different files- and removed it)

-Hitman (for a doublecheck, it found only one issue, which I think wasn't correlated with the virus)

Safe mode

I found many videos that suggested this solution. In my OS (Windows 8.1) I didn't find the same path that they showed. 

I followed 2 different paths:

1) Local Machine -> software -> Microsoft -> Run (which was empty in my case, and in many videos wasn't)

2) Current User (or something like that) -> software -> Microsoft -> (here one video found a folder named "cryptowall", nothing like this happened to me) - Run (which was empty in my case, and in many videos wasn't)

So I didn't really found anything useful (maybe because Malwarebyte had already deleted them?)

This Guide

http://www.wintips.o...yptowall-files/

which is to say:

-Roguekiller to stop the virus running the processes (it didn't find anything)

-Malwarebytes (as I had just run it, I didn't repeat it)

-Deleting temporary folders

Now, I don't really know if I've get rid of the virus itself. If i run again any antimalware, they don't find anything. On the other hand, when I start the pc there are still some popups, such as the image and the html file.

I could maybe eliminate them going to the starting processes, but as they could be a signal of the virus' presence I didn't do it yet,

Can you help me? Do you think i still have the virus or not? How to resolve best the problem (and the popups)?

Thank you

Edited by Aarcam, 06 December 2015 - 09:27 AM.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Aarcam,

Welcome to GeeksToGo! :)

I would be more than happy to help you out in your time of need.

Please nothing more than what I ask you to do in the way of running scans, etc. At this time, could you please post the logs generated by the tools you have used so I could have a look see what was found and/or removed. Also I need a couple more logs to view. See below:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop. <<< Very Important!

Note: You will need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version (32 or 64-bit) applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Make sure that FRST is on the desktop of the infected system
  • Right click and choose Run as administrator. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • The first time the tool is run it generates a second log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.
Log I need to see in your next reply are as follows:

FRST.txt
Additions.txt

Thank you,
Donna :)

Aarcam

Aarcam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi, thank you for your reply

Attached, 

2 logs from Farbar

1 log from Malwarebytes

1 log from BitDefender (the Antivirus I'm using right now)

Attached Files

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Aarcam,

Thank you for the logs. While I review the contents of these logs, please run the following scan and provide the reports that it generates.

Please download CKScanner and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
  • Double-click on CKScanner.exe and click Search For Files.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • After a very short time, when the cursor hourglass disappears, click Save List To File.
  • A text file will be created on your desktop named ckfiles.txt.
  • Click OK at the file saved message box.
  • Double-click the ckfiles.txt icon on your desktop to open the log and copy/paste the contents in your next reply.