Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Help Wet Hardware!

CPU Wet Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My basement flooded with an inch of water and my pc got wet. It was plugged in but it wasn't running. Just the very bottom of the motherboard got wet and part of my ram sticks. Since it has sat the board has carroded but nothing else has. It will boot up then turn off a few seconds later. The cpu is dry with no carrosion and the pins are perfect. Can I save the ram, hd, or cpu? Or is it all shot because of being in contact with the motherboard?

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,836 posts
Hi ericdlaboyteaux,

Welcome to GeekToGo! :)

Gosh. I am sorry to hear this. Place the computer in a dry area, open up the casing and remove the components. Allow them to dry completely. As for the corrosion, get a soft toothbrush and carefully brush it away. Using a can of compressed air should do the trick to blow the particles away that were loosened. Can't guarantee there is no damage. Time will tell.

Others dedicated members may jump in with more advice, so please stay tuned.

Donna :)

GeekU Freshman

• GeekU Freshman
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Dealing with wet hardware can be tricky. Speeding up the drying process through heat usually results in condensation in hard to reach places. You may want to leave them to sit in a dry room for a bit, periodically checking to ensure the water is drying.

As for the corrosion, I have used isopropyl alcohol in the past. I would coat the corrosion, let it sit, then use a soft cloth or an old (but clean!) tooth brush to remove the particles. The alcohol will break it down and allow the corrosion to easily be removed from the board without an abrasive brush.