Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 Desktop Not Running At Full Potential?

window 8 pc decktop potential games slow fast not fast lag

• Please log in to reply

ChaosAuditore

ChaosAuditore

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, I'm Nick and I am a bit confused on why my new gaming pc is pretty slow (Yes it was under 700 dollars). So, my problem is that I cannot play games like Skyrim without lag on the lowest of low settings. I bought the PC specifically for gaming and stuff like that but I have found it it very laggy and does not run most games. Sure, I can play Minecraft at around 80 fps but if i try most other games i get around ten or twenty. Yes i know what you are thinki ng "Turn Down The Settings!" I have on all my games and it is getting a bit annoying. Also for Christmas i was going to ask  for something (In the 100 to 150 price range) that can fix the lag. If you have any ideas PLEASE tell me I have done most thi ngs to boost my PC's performance  like cleaning it everyday and going into power settings and turning it to high. -Nick

p.s. Almost all the games i have the preferred settings are almost always high or medium  

My PC specs:

Processor AMD FX™-4300 Quad-Core Processor Manufacturer AMD Speed 3.8 GHz Number of Cores 4 Video Card AMD Radeon R5 200 Series Manufacturer ATI Chipset AMD Radeon R5 200 Series Dedicated Memory 1024 MB Total Memory 4.0 GB Memory 8.2 GB Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit Service Pack 0 Size 64 Bit Edition   Display Maximum Resolution 1600 x 900 DVD HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 CD HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 Drive   Size 465.4 GB Free 135.3 GB

Advertisements

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Hi ChaosAuditore,

By saying "my new gaming pc is pretty slow" do you mean doing stuff non related to playing games is slow and laggy as well or is it only when playing games, If it is only when playing games it sounds like the problem your having is the R5 graphics card just isn't powerful enough for your needs sure you could purchase a new one but you first need to make sure everything is compatible.

Before purchasing a new grahpics card you first need to check if it will be compatible with your motherboard, then if your power supply is good enough to power it and at last if it will fit in your case, If you can supply the name of your motherboard and your power supply I may be able to help you further.

To find the motherboard model you can use a tool like Speccy.

For the power supply you will have to open the case and look at the sticker located on the power supply.