Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New GPU Issues

• Please log in to reply

Retroman1987

Retroman1987

• Pip
  • 1 posts

So my old graphics card, an HD 6870 finally blew up after about 4 years of use. I bought a substantial upgrade, an R9 390 (thank you newegg deals) and installed. Immediately I noticed that temps were way too high for the card under most circumstances. Some research told me it should be running around 30-35 degrees idle and 68-72C under load. This thing is idling about 40c and regularly going over 90 under load, even games that absolutely should not be taxing this beast like World of Warcraft on medium settings or Dota 2. I've also noticed substantially longer load times for a variety of applications which might be due to the heat within the case but I am pretty clueless at this point. I upgraded my power supply just to be sure that wasn't an issue and since I likely needed a new one anyway. Not really sure where to go from here but XFX support is taking forever getting back to me.

System

CPU: Intel I5 2500k

Motherboard: Biostar T Series

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

GFX Card: XFX Radeon R9 390

PSU: Corsair 750W

Advertisements

Lokhe

Lokhe

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Could you specify exactly which PSU it is you have?

Rikai

Rikai

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Some cards require an additional power input than what is available from the slot itself. Do you have both 6 and 8 pin connectors connected to the card? Without the additional power, the card's built in heat dissipation will not fully function properly.

Lokhe

Lokhe

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Some cards require an additional power input than what is available from the slot itself. Do you have both 6 and 8 pin connectors connected to the card? Without the additional power, the card's built in heat dissipation will not fully function properly.

Would the card even run without full power?

Rikai

Rikai

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Yes. But not very well.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

I think it would be useful to have some readings.

Please download/install CPU-Z and HWMONITOR,  > http://www.cpuid.com/softwares.html

Start HWMONITOR, drag the bottom of the window down so all readings are seen.

Play your game for about five minutes, then take a screenshot of the monitor, save where you can easily find it. 

Shut down HWMONITOR and start CPU-Z, take a screenshot and save.

On the top menu, click Memory, take and save a screenshot.

Top menu, click SPD, take and save a screenshot.

Top menu, click  Mainboard,   Note down the BIOS ver. and Date.   Close CPU-Z,

Please include the 4 screenshots in your next reply.