Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs Won't Open

• Please log in to reply

zgtfy

zgtfy

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me with a problem I'm having.

My problem started when I was online and everything froze. I tried ctl, alt, del, then my screen went black. I waited and waited but task mangaer never appeared. So I pressed the power button on the machine and then rebooted. Everything seemed to have worked fine until I woke up the next morning. Usually before I go to bed at night, I put my computer in sleep mode but when I woke up the screen was black with white wording on it that said, "Error, No Boot Disk Has Been Detected or Disk Has Failed." After attempting to reboot, I came across a diagnotics screen that said, "Cpu Test Passed, Hard Drive Connection Test Passed, Boot Test Failed - Error Code 3F0, Warning-No Active Partitions, Memory Test Passed, Please Perform System Recovery." So After powering down the computer a bunch of times I finally got the system to boot back up. Later that day I tried to update the lastest updates for Internet Explorer 11(KB3104002). The update failed and I received error code 80070570. After many failed attempts, I tried to do a system restore and it failed as well. I was finally abled to do a system restore in safe mode but I still kept getting the update failed message error code 80070570. I then tried running the Windows Readiness Tool and the Windows Update Fix It Tool and The Update Still failed. Later I found out that the update can be downloaded from the microsoft website. So I downloaded the update from the website and that finally worked, the update was successful.

Now Today, when I tried to open up some of my programs, the program never appears on screen. While this is happening, it won't even let me open up the task manager. I do not get any error messages, the program just never opens. I can see from the little light on the tower that there is some kind of activity going on but nothing ever opens up. Please note, this is not happening with all programs but just some of them. I eventually have to shut the computer down and reboot because even though the program is not opening it's attempting to open and this process is causeing the computer to slow down and go in and out of freezes.

My Specs Are as follows:

HP - Model P7-1254

Processor: AMD A6-3620 APU With Radeon HD Graphics 2.20Ghz

Ram: 8.0GB

Windows 7 Home Edition 64 Bit Operating System

Service Pack 1

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi zgtfy, and welcome to our forum.

Sorry to hear of the issues with your computer.

:welcome:

Before we get too involved with the diagnosis and repair of your computer, can you please confirm that your "back ups" contain everything that is of importance to you on your computer, including all documents, photos, music, contacts e-mails, videos...(everything that you would not like to lose permanently) and the back ups are reproducible, and with several copies at least one of which is verified, and kept safe offsite on removable media?

Have you made a System Repair disc and taken a system image?

if any of this has not been done then please do this first and then confirm that you are 100% happy with your back ups and we will advise the next steps.

Regards

paws

zgtfy

zgtfy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

So correct me if I am wrong but I went to the maintenance section within Windows 7 and created the repair disc and also in this same section I attempted to create a system image but during this process it stated that the "back up failed, one of the backup files could not be created, (0x8078002A), Additional Information: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error (0x8007045D)."

So does this mean I lose everything?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Its good to hear that you have created the repair disc, it would have been good for your to have been able to create a system image just now... but presumably you have created them in the past along with all your data back ups???

If you are at all unhappy that your back ups may not contain everything you need, then it would be wise to address that before doing anything else.

The back ups need to be up to date and comprehensive (just in case it is your hard drive that is failing)...as no one wants to rely upon a set of back ups that was made maybe weeks ago or even a few months ago...as that would of course mean that all your recent stuff ( anything since your last good back up or system image is at risk.

Regards

paws

zgtfy

zgtfy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

So after running a CHKDSK, windows finally let me do the back up and I can now open up all of my programs again. So do you think everything is fixed or is there something else I can do to confirm that everything is back to normal?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

It was a relatively risky procedure running chkdsk before you were 100% happy with your back ups, but its was good to hear that it has done the trick for you...

chkdsk when run with the f switch or the r switch stresses the hard drive to a certain extent...if the drive is on its last legs then it could just push it over the edge so to speak.

It looks as though errors were found in your hard drive and hopefully fixed them.

I would be inclined to run it again ( with the r switch)

This is the command you need

chkdsk /r

note the space... it needs to be there.

if this completes without finding any errors then you should be good to go...... however I would be inclined to also run sfc /scannow

just to be on the safe side.

regards

paws

zgtfy

zgtfy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Sorry for the delay but I've been tied up at work for the past few days. I will run the additional scans tomorrow. Thanks for your patience

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

:thumbsup:

zgtfy

zgtfy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Per your recommendation, I ran the chkdsk /r and afterwards the scan found no problems but after running the sfc /scannow, it stated that, "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." So please let me know if you would like to view the log file from the sfc /scannnow. Initially, I tried to copy and paste it into the post but I guess the file is too big and it is not allowing me to post it.

Edited by zgtfy, 19 December 2015 - 09:25 PM.