Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Won't Start

Best Answer RKinner , 12 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

If you have the DVD, stick it in and see if it will repair windows. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

76broadband

76broadband

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Every time I attempt to turn on my computer, it doesn't start. It shows a black screen (much like a command-line based computer; black screen with a blinking line to type). It gets to the black screen, and everything freezes, and I see 4 small square-like figures at the top of the screen. What does this mean?

I should note that I recently opened up the computer with a magnetic screwdriver. Could this be the cause of the problem?

It is a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5082

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,350 posts
  • MVP

The magnetic screwdriver didn't hurt but odds are you left something disconnected.or you did something worse by removing the heatsink without replacing the thermal paste.  If it won't boot to the PC maker's screen and then in to BIOS/CMOS setup then get out your screwdriver and take it apart again.

76broadband

76broadband

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

The magnetic screwdriver didn't hurt but odds are you left something disconnected.or you did something worse by removing the heatsink without replacing the thermal paste.  If it won't boot to the PC maker's screen and then in to BIOS/CMOS setup then get out your screwdriver and take it apart again.

Well the odd thing is at first, it did boot correctly and it was fully functional (after I took it apart). I decided to reinstall Windows 7. I was downloading all of the updates, and I restarted the computer. It said "failed to configure Windows, reverting changes, do not turn off your computer). I didn't, and when it restarted itself, that's when the problem started.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,350 posts
  • MVP
✓  Best Answer

If you have the DVD, stick it in and see if it will repair windows.

76broadband

76broadband

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

If you have the DVD, stick it in and see if it will repair windows.

I also tried that, but it still would not boot. I ended up pressing F2 at the initial boot screen (where it took me to the boot manager), and messing around with some options in there. I changed how fast the computer boots from normal to fast, and that seemed to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by 76broadband, 12 December 2015 - 09:33 PM.