Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU Upgrage Help

gpu graphics card

• Please log in to reply

RandomGamerGuy

RandomGamerGuy

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Ok so i have the cyberpower gua880 (Specs at the bottom) and i was looking to upgrade my graphics card to this http://www.amazon.co...eywords=gtx 660

My question is, is that graphics card compatible with the pc, and will it run games like CS:GO flawlessly? I also have a question on how i would power the gpu, because im not sure how it connects to the power supply, and if my power supply would be compatible with it. Thanks for any help i can get!

Main Specifications

Unit Dimensions 19.6" x 7.5" x 16.8" ( D x W x H )
Chassis CoolerMaster Elite 431 Black / Blue Mid-Tower Gaming Case
Processor AMD FX-4300 Vishera / 3.8GHz (Max 4.0GHz)
Socket Socket AM3+
Cache Memory 4MB L2 Cache
Motherboard Chipset AMD 760G Chipset
Expansion Bays Total (Free)
3 ( 2 ) x External - 5.25"
2 ( 2 ) x External - 3.5"
5 ( 4 ) x Internal - 3.5"
Expansion Slots Total (Free)
1 ( 0 ) x PCI Express x16
1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x1
1 ( 1 ) x PCI
2 ( 0 ) x DIM 240-pin
Interfaces
1 x PS/2 keyboard port
1 x PS/2 mouse port
7 x USB 2.0 ports (3 front 4 rear)
1 x LAN RJ-45 port
3 x audio jacks (Line In/Line Out/Microphone)
RAM 8GB DDR3 SDRAM / 16GB (Max)
Hard Drive 1TB - SATA III - 7200 rpm
Optical Drive 24x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Super-Multi Drive
Graphics Card NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 1GB - PCI Express x 16
Digital Video Standards DVI / HDMI / VGA
Power Supply 500 Watts
Audio Output Integrated - High Definition 5.1 Channel Audio
Networking Integrated - 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Accessories Included USB Gaming Keyboard & Mouse / Driver Discs / Power Cord
Operating System Provided Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: RandomGamerGuy.

Thanks for the specs info.   Before performing a GPU upgrade, we should make sure that your PSU has enough power to run it. 

I know that no where will be listed the power supply specs, so please open the side of the case and let us know if it is the same as the one on this page, > http://www.bonanza.c...y-C1E/273080379

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I would just like to throw this out here for you to answer some questions.

The one you have linked "GTX 750 Ti SC" will get it's power from the PCI-E slot instead of from the power supply directly by a cable so you should just be able to plug it in and go,the "GTX 750 Ti FTW" will require power from the power supply by a cable just letting you know in case you were looking at upgrading to it.

CS:GO isn't a very demanding game with the GTX 750 Ti I would say around 150+ FPS on average.

Like I believe iammykyl is suggesting you do still want to make sure you have a reliable power supply so do follow his instructions.

RandomGamerGuy

RandomGamerGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

:welcome: RandomGamerGuy.

Thanks for the specs info.   Before performing a GPU upgrade, we should make sure that your PSU has enough power to run it. 

I know that no where will be listed the power supply specs, so please open the side of the case and let us know if it is the same bas the one on this page, > http://www.bonanza.c...y-C1E/273080379

I would just like to throw this out here for you to answer some questions.

The one you have linked "GTX 750 Ti SC" will get it's power from the PCI-E slot instead of from the power supply directly by a cable so you should just be able to plug it in and go,the "GTX 750 Ti FTW" will require power from the power supply by a cable just letting you know in case you were looking at upgrading to it.

CS:GO isn't a very demanding game with the GTX 750 Ti I would say around 150+ FPS on average.

Like I believe iammykyl is suggesting you do still want to make sure you have a reliable power supply so do follow his instructions.

Thanks Nyser i was kind of coming to that conclusion. Also yes my PSU is the same as the one in the picture, which is 500w so i should be fine right?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks  Nyser for chiming in with the addition info :thumbsup:

I also have a question on how i would power the gpu, because im not sure how it connects to the power supply, and if my power supply would be compatible with it.

The GT 610 draws 29W from the slot, the GTX 750Ti SC draws 70W, so your PSU should be OK with that extra 41W.   I would seriously consider buying a better quality PSU ASAPthe TL500W-BK is a very, very poor unit, it's one I would not trust

Have you removed/installed a GPU before?

RandomGamerGuy

RandomGamerGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks  Nyser for chiming in with the addition info :thumbsup:

I also have a question on how i would power the gpu, because im not sure how it connects to the power supply, and if my power supply would be compatible with it.

The GT 610 draws 29W from the slot, the GTX 750Ti SC draws 70W, so your PSU should be OK with that extra 41W.   I would seriously consider buying a better quality PSU ASAPthe TL500W-BK is a very, very poor unit, it's one I would not trust

Have you removed/installed a GPU before?

Yea thats what i have heard that is a horrible PSU. What PSU could i get that would work for the gua880 and handle upgrades? I dont want to get a PSU and then find out that it wont connect to some thing in my pc lol. I was looking at the EVGA 600w or 700w. Would the 600w  work well for the upgrade or go with the 700w? And how do i know that it will have the right like cords for all of the components in my PC?

Edited by RandomGamerGuy, 13 December 2015 - 01:16 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Will you buy in the USA?

RandomGamerGuy

RandomGamerGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Will you buy in the USA?

I am in the US

Edited by RandomGamerGuy, 13 December 2015 - 01:27 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Just going for dinner, back in an hour.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Here we go. 

There is no need to go so high with the PSU, a top quality 550W will support a top end rig with any video card requiring 2 x 6+2-Pin PCI-E cables.

This CORSAIR CSM Series CS550M 550W Gold certified is modular, so you only use the cables you need and they are there for your computer.   Your existing PSU measures 

5.9"W x 5.7"L x 3.4"H, the Corsair is  5.9"W x 5.51"L x 3.39"H, so will fit. Full Specs > http://www.corsair.c...d-certified-psu

If you want a how to for the GPU or and PSU, let us know. 

Advertisements

RandomGamerGuy

RandomGamerGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Here we go. 

There is no need to go so high with the PSU, a top quality 550W will support a top end rig with any video card requiring 2 x 6+2-Pin PCI-E cables.

This CORSAIR CSM Series CS550M 550W Gold certified is modular, so you only use the cables you need and they are there for your computer.   Your existing PSU measures 

5.9"W x 5.7"L x 3.4"H, the Corsair is  5.9"W x 5.51"L x 3.39"H, so will fit. Full Specs > http://www.corsair.c...d-certified-psu

If you want a how to for the GPU or and PSU, let us know. 

Alright so you are saying that this PSU would work fine? http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B00GH9NA6O

Also i think i would need a tutorial for the PSU. Wouldn't want to mess everything up, but im pretty sure you just put in the new graphics card into like the pci slot or some thing right? I watched a tutorial on youtube. Do i need one of those static wrist bands and or where should i work on the pc?

Edited by RandomGamerGuy, 13 December 2015 - 12:40 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

If I may chime in while iammykyl is offline  :)

Excuse the title of the following two tutorials;

How to Replace Your Desktop PC’s Power Supply

How to Install a Video Card in Your Computer

Please disregard step 9 and instead follow the steps in my canned text below;

Create a new folder on your desktop and name it GTX 750Ti drivers, download and save to your new folder the latest drivers for your card from EVGA, create a new restore point, uninstall the drivers for your present card, shut down the computer and swap out the cards, after reassembling the computer restart it in Safe Mode (no networking) install the saved drivers for the new card, restart and test.

No need for any anti static wrist strap, just be sure to ground yourself on a bare metal part of the case before touching any hardware.

RandomGamerGuy

RandomGamerGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

If I may chime in while iammykyl is offline  :)

Excuse the title of the following two tutorials;

How to Replace Your Desktop PC’s Power Supply

How to Install a Video Card in Your Computer

Please disregard step 9 and instead follow the steps in my canned text below;

Create a new folder on your desktop and name it GTX 750Ti drivers, download and save to your new folder the latest drivers for your card from EVGA, create a new restore point, uninstall the drivers for your present card, shut down the computer and swap out the cards, after reassembling the computer restart it in Safe Mode (no networking) install the saved drivers for the new card, restart and test.

No need for any anti static wrist strap, just be sure to ground yourself on a bare metal part of the case before touching any hardware.

Thanks! 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome  :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Many thanks Phillpower2 for your instructions. :thumbsup: .

That is the correct PSU RandomGamerGuy, save some $$ at Newegg, $59.99 after $20.00 rebate card, > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139059. 

Most video card slots have a little locking tab at the right hand end, (needs to be depressed to unlock the card) as well as the left side retaining screws, this video is to show you where it is.   Make sure to perform Phillpower2's canned instructions before removing the video card.