Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Eternal reboot after installing SP2

• Please log in to reply

KesheR

KesheR

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Please please please help! I'm Spanish, so forgive me if I look stupid.

I have updated my PC with SP2. But now, my computer enters into an eternal reboot that is driving me crazy. You probably have seen this problem a hundred of times.

Besides, I can't start it under safe mode. I can't even start it with the last well known configuration.

I'll tell you something funny: I can't even boot my computer using my old simple plain Windows XP CD. I can read some "checking hardware" stuff and after that I die a little bit more: the screen turns off but the hard disk never stops spinning.

That's all. Just a little trouble that is leading me to fail my exams :tazz: ;)

Thanks.

Advertisements

KesheR

KesheR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Maybe some kind of boot viruses? Do you suggest me any anti boot virus scanner or something?

Hobo

Hobo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Firstly. Have you tried to get rid of SP2 in add remove programs? That's the firdt thing to try. If your Comp acts up you should be able to do that in safe mode.
If that doesn't work try one of the following. Be warned I haven't tried them so I can't vouch for them other than they come from a reliable source.

Found the following:-
Type:- Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q819696 into google. That should take you to a help page.
Or
uninstall SP2, and followed both sets of instructions as posted on the Microsoft website, which are as follows:

If your computer does start correctly, but you want to roll back changes that were made by the Windows XP SP2 Setup program and remove Windows XP SP2, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Remove Windows XP SP2 by using the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel
1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. In the list of currently installed programs, click Windows XP SP2, and then click Remove.
3. Click Next, and then follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen to remove Windows XP SP2.
Method 2: Remove Windows XP SP2 by using the Spuninst.exe command-line command
To do this:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type the following lines. Press ENTER after each line.
cd %Windir%\$NtServicePackUninstall$\Spuninst
spuninst.exe
3. Follow the instructions to remove Windows XP SP2.

Hope one of them work for you Oh and you pass your exams.

KesheR

KesheR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The fact is that I can't do anything, neither in safe mode or usual mode. It always reboots at the same point (loading some file that I don't remember, something like *.sys, but it's not a well known file).

I can't even install windows again because my PC stops while checking hardware.

Thanks anyway :tazz:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
you say your computer keeps on rebooting
How far do you get in windows before it reboots?
can you do anything?

KesheR

KesheR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It's just like "uauh, that's windows xp startup screen", and suddenly black :tazz:

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Can you be a little clearer? There are 2 Windows start-up screens, one is when its all black with the Microsoft Windows XP logo and the green bar loading. The second one is when you select the user.

Which one is it?

KesheR

KesheR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The black one, the first one. It appears during two seconds, if lucky.

If safe mode is on, computer reboots at the same point while loading a sys file that I don't remember (but it isn't a well known file, I think). Something containing "bus"

:tazz:

Edited by KesheR, 15 June 2005 - 03:08 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Was SP2 all you did ?

KesheR

KesheR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That's all. I think it was reliable, but could my computer be infected?

Oh, and more: I've unplugged my usb modem, my mouse, my new ram, my new hard disk... thinking it was a hardware problem. But my usual configuration that always worked fine fails too.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
trouble is we can't run a virus scanner as you can't get going. can you put the drive into another computer as a slave then uninstall sp2?

KesheR

KesheR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Mmmmm... I can't put my hard disk into another computer easily. In fact, I think I can't do it at all, but maybe it's a way.

Any other suggestions are welcomed :tazz: .

KesheR

KesheR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Adding facts:

GRUB starts as usual. Linux works fine.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
so you can boot and run ok under linyx? If yes can you use linyx to get rid of sp2
Sorry I don't know a lot about linyx but if you can see your windows files
can you delete the sp2 file?

KesheR

KesheR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Can I find a specific file to delete? What name is it?

Anyway, I think I can't delete NFTS files under Linux because its kernel doesn't support it. But I'll try.

I think I have to format the Windows drive under Linux. [bleep]! :tazz: Shame on Microsoft!