Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm crazy, but can you help me ?

xp multi boot

• Please log in to reply

audiomonk

audiomonk

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Ok, I have an XP service pack 2 installation which for some reason won't upgrade to service pack 3. I created a service pack 3 install disk from advice on the web. 

After some trepidation (cool word) I went ahead and ran the install disk. It worked ! except my PC now dual boots, it has a blank install of SP3 and my full to the brim of software install of SP2. 

What I'd like to know is how to get the bare bones install of SP3 to recognise all my stuff on the SP2 installation. It's all on the same drive and partition, so must be easy right?

Advertisements

audiomonk

audiomonk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Right?

Could I merge the two registries? 

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

You can get "Service Pack 3" for Windows XP in at least two different ways:

• It is available as a separate, standalone upgrade, (for download or on CD), for users that are already running earlier versions of Windows XP.

• A "Windows XP with Service Pack 3" is also available, (for download or on CD), as a complete install of Windows XP with Service Pack 3 already in it.

It sounds like you got the latter, i.e., the complete "Windows XP with Service Pack 3" instead of simply the much smaller "Service Pack 3" for Windows XP.

And unfortunately, there is no way to merge your two separate installations of Windows XP. You'll need to upgrade your first install of Windows XP with the "Service Pack 3" for Windows XP upgrade.

Here's a link to the Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) upgrade on Microsoft.com: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-xp-service-pack-3.aspx

Edited by SpywareDr, 15 December 2015 - 03:42 PM.

audiomonk

audiomonk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the info, that's a shame. I tried the standard upgrade and that didn't work, gave all kinds of errors, which is why I went for the other option, thought it might upgrade (and put all the hotfixes on) at the same time. I did it via this technique.

http://www.expertrev...l-other-updates

Don't know how I'll get up to SP3. 

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Used to upgrade XP machines with a SP3 CD from Microsoft. Don't remember ever having any trouble with it. Simply pop it in and let it do it's thing. Even after that though, there would still be well over a hundred (170+?) other updates to download and install. Been so long ago though don't remember all of the details.

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23

• PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

For Information:

microsoft downloads no longer has service pack 3 for xp but you can get an archived copy at the below url:

Service Pack 3 was released on May 6, 2008. The earliest archive date available is July 25, 2008 (http://web.archive.o...SP3-x86-ENU.exe)

above is from this website:

http://www.computing...8-2014/916.html

Edited by Elizabeth23, 29 February 2016 - 01:39 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

What you got was XP with SP3 integrated in to it. Unfortunately as already stated it does not contain all of the SP's.

You have a couple options.

1. Continue with what you did. Update drivers and service packs. Install all your programs again and move your data. Then we can help get rid of the 1st XP.

2. Easier would be to get SP3 into the original XP. That way all programs and data remain intact.

What type of errors were you getting?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

What you got was XP with SP3 integrated in to it. Unfortunately as already stated it does not contain all of the SP's.

support.microsoft.com > List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3

Service packs are cumulative.

This means that the problems that are fixed in a service pack are also fixed in later service packs. For example, Windows XP SP3 contains all the fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Oops......I meant to say "does not contain all of the updates".

Thanks SpywareDr

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

You're more than welcome 123Runner. :)