Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Excel File

• Please log in to reply

Namco

Namco

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
We have 2 branches
2 people from branch A and one person from branch B use one document(Budget)
The 2 offices are not linked.
There is alot of confusion over different versions of the document.
I thought of setting up an FTP site were people can upload or dowload to.
Is there a way of booking in or booking out the document so that 2 people arent working on the doc at the same time. (think library)

Any help would be appreciated, or ideas on different solutions.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
you can still have both work on the same document and it upgrades
or
Tools > Proctection > Protect and share work book

Edited by peterm, 15 June 2005 - 03:00 AM.

Namco

Namco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Would they have to open the file directly off of the ftp instead of saving a copy on there side and saving it back.

If 2 people work on the same document at the same time, and make different changes to diff parts off the doc, will it update the doc from both or just the last personto save. (hope that it makes sense)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Think I have covered what you need. If not let me know
Edit a shared workbook
Go to the network location where the shared workbook is stored, and open the workbook.
Set the user name to identify your work in the shared workbook: on the Tools menu, click Options, click the General tab, and then type your user name in the User name box.
Enter and edit data as usual. You won't be able to add or change the following: merged cells, conditional formats, data validation, charts, pictures, objects including drawing objects, hyperlinks, scenarios, outlines, subtotals, data tables, PivotTable reports, workbook and worksheet protection, and macros.
Make any filter and print settings you want for your personal use. Each user's settings are saved individually by default.
If you want the filter or print settings made by the original author to be in effect whenever you open the workbook, click Share Workbook on the Tools menu, click the Advanced tab, and under Include in personal view, clear the Print settings or Filter settings check box.

To save your changes to the workbook and see the changes other users have saved since your last save, click Save .
If the Resolve Conflicts dialog box appears, resolve the conflicts.

How?

When two users try to save changes that affect the same cell, Microsoft Excel displays the Resolve Conflicts dialog box for one of the users.

In the Resolve Conflicts dialog box, read the information about each change and the conflicting changes made by others.
To keep your change or the other person's change and go on to the next conflicting change, click Accept Mine or Accept Other.
To keep all of your remaining changes or all of the other users' changes, click Accept All Mine or Accept All Others.

To have your changes to override all other changes, and never see the Resolve Conflicts dialog box again, turn this feature off.
How?

On the Tools menu, click Share Workbook, and then click the Advanced tab.
Click The changes being saved win.
Click Save .
To see how you or others resolved past conflicts, view this information on the History worksheet.
How?

On the Tools menu, point to Track Changes, and then click Highlight Changes.
In the When box, click All.
Clear the Who and Where check boxes.
Select the List changes on a new sheet check box, and then click OK.
On the History worksheet, scroll to the right to view the Action Type and Losing Action columns.
Conflicting changes that were kept have "Won" for Action Type. The row numbers in the Losing Action column identify the rows with information about the conflicting changes that weren't kept, including any deleted data.

Tip

To save a copy of the workbook with all your changes, click Cancel in the Resolve Conflicts dialog box, click Save As on the File menu, and then type a new name for the file.

Notes

To see who else has the workbook open, click Share Workbook on the Tools menu, and then click the Editing tab.
If you want to get automatic updates of the other users' changes periodically, with or without saving, click Share Workbook on the Tools menu, click the Advanced tab, and under Update changes, click the options you want.

Namco

Namco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
mmmmmmm Yeah, i think you covered all the bases and then some.
I appreciate the fast response and informative answer.
Thanks

Edit : Do you agree with putting the document on an ftp, so as to have one central location for the document?

Edited by Namco, 15 June 2005 - 05:15 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
I don't know anythong about ftp sites - sorry

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I think that prudence should dictate your action when posting a BUDGET file on an FTP.

Password the file and give the password to authorized users. They can access it if they have the password, but anybody will see the file.