Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC was full of Malware

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Process Explorer log looks very good.  System Idle is up where we like to see it and Interrupts  very low indicating your drivers are in good shape.  Nothing hogging the CPU and no strange programs.

Speccy says the temps are a bit warm for a desktop so I expect it needs to have the heatsink and air vents cleaned.  (Shut it down but leave it plugged in, open it up and use a small brush and a vacuum cleaner hose to clean the heatsink and air vents.  Do not remove the heatsink. (It's OK to remove the fan if necessary but the heatsink must stay in place unless you want to replace the thermal paste.)   Don't forget the power supply's fan.)  

Hard drive is in good shape.  You do have an old version of Java (6.1 I think) which should be uninstalled.  In fact unless she uses Java for something I would uninstall all versions..Java is often targeted by malware and most people don't really need it.  

I think you are good to go now so it's clean up time:

We usually clean up with Delfix.  This removes our tools and their logs and quarantines and also removes all but the latest System Restore point so there is no chance of the malware coming back with a system restore.  Follow the instructions and ignore the picture since it doesn't show the correct options as checked.

Download Delfix from here
Ensure Remove disinfection tools is ticked
Also tick:
Create registry backup
Purge system restore
delfix.jpg
Click Run
The program will run for a few moments and then notepad will open with a log. Please paste the log in your next reply

Also make sure you have the latest versions of any adobe.com products you use like Shockwave, Flash or Acrobat.  Flash is now the most malware targeted program so it must be kept up to date.  Be careful with Adobe.  They are fond of offering optional downloads like yahoo or Ask toolbars or that worthless McAfee Security Scan.  Go slow and uncheck the optional stuff.

Whether you use adobe reader, acrobat or fox-it to read pdf files you need to disable Javascript in the program.  There is an exploit out there now that can use it to get on your PC.  For Adobe Reader:  Start, All Programs, Adobe Reader, Edit, Preferences, Click on Javascript in the left column and uncheck Enable Acrobat Javascript.  OK Close program.  It's the same for Foxit reader except you uncheck Enable Javascript Actions. 

Unless you have the latest version of Avast which has its own update checker:  To help keep your programs up-to-date you should download and run the FileHippo App Manager

(You don't need to download Betas and if there is a program you don't use you can just uninstall it rather than update it.  Exception is MSN messenger which appears to be part of Windows.)
If you get a blocked program notice after installing updatechecker then change it to not run at start then manually run it once a week.
 Seems to work best if Firefox or Chrome is the default browser.  Windows always hides its icon so you need to unhide it.  Click on the up arrow to the left of the clock.  Then click on Customize.  Maximize the window so you can see all of the options.  Scroll Down and find the File Hippo UpdateChecker and change its Behaviors to Show Icon and Notifications.  OK.  When you reboot you should see the icon.  It will take it a minute to finish checking then it will put up a bubble if you need to update something. Click on the bubble and it should open in your browser.  (Seems to work best if it uses Firefox.  If you do not use Firefox as your default browser then right click on the icon and click on Settings. Then on Results.  Change the Open Results in Default Browser to Custom Browser and then select the line that has Firefox.exe in it.  While there, also check Hide Beta Versions.  OK. )  You will see a list of programs that have updates with green down arrows next to them.  You do not need to download any Beta Versions.  There is an option Settings to Hide Beta Versions.  I do not advise updating Windows Messenger unless you really use it so I right click on the Icon and Customize Results then find Microsoft Messenger and change Show All Releases to Hide All Releases.  OK. 

You can also try Secunia PSI http://secunia.com/v...l/download_psi/ Same kind of info.  You don't need both but I think it's Java based so probably not the best thing to use.

If you use Chrome/Firefox/IE then get the AdBlock Plus Add-on.  Go to adblockplus.org with each browser and get the add-on.  (It's actually a program for IE)

If Chrome/Firefox is slow loading make sure it only has the current Java add-on.  Then download and run Speedy Fox.
http://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox.  Close Chrome/Firefox/Skpe. Hit Optimize.   You can run it any time that Chrome/Firefox seems slow starting..

Be warned:  If you use Limewire, utorrent or any of the other P2P programs you will probably be coming back to the Malware Removal forum.  If you must use P2P then submit any files you get to http://virustotal.combefore you open them.

Due to a recent rise in the number of Crytolocker infections I am now recommending you install:

CryptoPrevent

Last time I downloaded it you had to give them your IP address and they would send you the link to download it.  When it ran it asked if you were sure your PC was clean then it would try to allow everything on your PC to continue running.  The free version does not update on its own so you should check for updated versions once in a while.  If you have problems after installing CryptoPrevent you can just uninstall it.

If you have a router, log on to it today and change the default password!  If using a Wireless router you really should be using encryption on the link.  Use the strongest (newest) encryption method that your router and PC wireless adapter support especially if you own a business.  See http://www.king5.com...-120637284.htmland http://www.seattlepi...ted-1344185.php for why encryption is important.  If you don't know how, visit the router maker's website.  They all have detailed step by step instructions or a wizard you can download.

Special note on Java.  Old Java versions should be removed after first clearing the Java Cache by following the instructions in:
Then remove the old versions by going to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall all Java programs which are not Java Version 7 update 25 or better.  These may call themselves: Java Runtime, Runtime Environment, Runtime, JRE, Java Virtual Machine, Virtual Machine, Java VM, JVM, VM, J2RE, J2SE.  Get the latest version from Java.com.  They will usually attempt to foist some garbage like the Ask toolbar, Yahoo toolbar or McAfee Security Scan on you as part of the download.  Just uncheck the garbage before the download (or install) starts.  If you use a 64-bit browser and want the 64-bit version of Java you need to use it to visit java.com.
Due to multiple security problems with Java we are now recommending that it not be installed unless you absolutely know you need it.  IF that is the case then go to Control Panel, Java, Security and slide it up to the highest level.  OK.

Make sure Windows Updates is turned and that it works.  Go to Control panel, Windows Updates and see if it works.  

My help is free but if you wish to show your appreciation, please donate to Kwiaht instead of me. It's a local environmental organization that I volunteer with: http://www.kwiaht.org/donate.htm
(The name means something like "clean place" in one of the local native-American dialects)

Ron

Advertisements

Lorenzo Baltazar Perez

Lorenzo Baltazar Perez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
# DelFix v1.011 - Logfile created 15/12/2015 at 16:21:02
# Updated 18/08/2015 by Xplode
# Username : Lil Miss Cris - STUDIOMIXER
# Operating System : Windows Vista ™ Home Premium Service Pack 2 (32 bits)

~ Removing disinfection tools ...

Deleted : C:\FRST
Deleted : C:\AdwCleaner
Deleted : C:\rkill.log
Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\AdwCleaner
Deleted : HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ASWMBR

~ Creating registry backup ... OK

~ Cleaning system restore ...

Deleted : RP #1222 [Removed ESET Smart Security | 12/15/2015 20:04:08]
Deleted : RP #1223 [Installed ESET Smart Security | 12/15/2015 20:14:20]

New restore point created !

########## - EOF - ##########

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Looks good.

Lorenzo Baltazar Perez

Lorenzo Baltazar Perez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Thanks so much.  I have some technical knowledge but it is not enough to allow me to get all of the garbage out of other people machines.  I really appreciate your help.