Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What should I upgrade next? (In terms of performance) (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

sirduffy4242

sirduffy4242

• Pip
  • 5 posts

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XQzsdC

There is my current build.

Thanks for taking a look!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   sirduffy4242,

With the exception of the PSU your build is fine, can you tell us what the main use of the computer is, if gaming, what games please.

NB: You do not have a case listed.

Got to go back to work for a couple of hrs but will check back later.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi sirduffy4242, Subject to anything phillpower2 may wish to add (he is a real expert on this) I would be inclined to consider a SSD for your boot drive, as the difference in speed between that and a conventional "spinner" is really significant.

You don't need a huge capacity for the SSD as you can keep most of your stuff on the spinner (WD Caviar Blue) and the price of SSD's has come down a lot over the last month or so.

Regards

paws

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

is that a build your planning or have already? personally i wouldn't buy a motherboard today without usb3 capability.

if you already own that system, then i wouldn't worry about it.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 15 December 2015 - 04:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The PSU when independently tested only produced 432W so doesnt meet the system requirements that Sapphire suggest for the R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC card, as you most likely already know card manufacturers will often overstate the required PSU requirements to be on the safe side but that is of no help if a poor quality PSU goes pop and takes out the other hardware, you only need to read the first page of Newegg reviews here to see that the PSU is not one to be trusted.

sirduffy4242

sirduffy4242

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

:welcome:   sirduffy4242,

With the exception of the PSU your build is fine, can you tell us what the main use of the computer is, if gaming, what games please.

NB: You do not have a case listed.

Got to go back to work for a couple of hrs but will check back later.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

That's not my psu, I can't find the one I have. And yes, I am looking for gaming capability. High intensity games like planet side 2. Also, Smite, the moba game.

Edited by sirduffy4242, 16 December 2015 - 09:02 AM.

sirduffy4242

sirduffy4242

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

is that a build your planning or have already? personally i wouldn't buy a motherboard today without usb3 capability.

if you already own that system, then i wouldn't worry about it.

:popcorn:

Lol, ya, it is my current build.

sirduffy4242

sirduffy4242

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

The PSU when independently tested only produced 432W so doesnt meet the system requirements that Sapphire suggest for the R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC card, as you most likely already know card manufacturers will often overstate the required PSU requirements to be on the safe side but that is of no help if a poor quality PSU goes pop and takes out the other hardware, you only need to read the first page of Newegg reviews here to see that the PSU is not one to be trusted.

That's not my correct build, I cant find the right power supply, I'll let you know when i get home.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Anything else on the supplied parts list that you don`t actually have, if no, your present hardware is fine for playing the games that you mention, to get any better you would need to upgrade the MB to one of the latest from Intel or an AMD board that is compatible with a CPU that has more than four cores.

As suggested previously by paws, compliment the present or any new build with an SSD for your OS and most often accessed software, faster boot times and access to your game/s :)  

BTW, no need to quote every reply or multiple post, we work as a team at GTG and read all contributions to a thread  :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you sirduffy4242, do you still require assistance, an update would be appreciated.

sirduffy4242

sirduffy4242

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Not heard back from you sirduffy4242, do you still require assistance, an update would be appreciated.

No, I don't. Thank you for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome and thank you for letting us know.