Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot after switching hard drives

• Please log in to reply

TruelyStumped

TruelyStumped

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi folks. OK so basically, my hard drive kept getting the error message that system file was corrupted. So I reinstalled windows with clean format. That worked! While reinstalling all the drivers again I had to restart a few times. Then I got the same error message... So I format again... It happens again. So I assumed the hard drive must be failing. So I unplugged the bad hard drive and used my storage drive as a master. Set the jumper to master. Installed windows on it. Have I missed something? As it won't even get the the windows startup screen. Just a blinking coursor.

Also I have removed the CMOS battery and discharged the power.

Any help would be very appreciated guys

Edited by TruelyStumped, 15 December 2015 - 08:45 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Does it still recognize the drive in the CMOS/BIOS setup?  What version of Windows is this anyway?

TruelyStumped

TruelyStumped

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Yes it does recognize it. I unplugged the other drive completely and checked the BIOS before installing windows. It's windows XP. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Is the new drive at the top of  the boot order list?

What kind of PC is this?

I worked on a Dell once that did something similar.  Turned out there was an option in the BIOS that had to be changed from the default.  Think it had to do with hard drive maybe something with SATA as this was when they were first coming out and the BIOS thought SATA would be the default but Dell was still using the older IDE drives.

TruelyStumped

TruelyStumped

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I see. Well its an e machine. Over a decade old. It has to have been the right one it was the only one in the list you see.

TruelyStumped

TruelyStumped

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Do you mean literally at the top? So the CD DVD shouldn't be at the top?
You might be onto something with this additional setting in the bios.
Also its an ide drive.

Edited by TruelyStumped, 16 December 2015 - 01:23 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I would put the hard drive at the top of the list so it would check it first in case something weird is happening with the CD/DVD.

Since the Dell was an XP using IDE it was probably from the same time period.  Pretty much the same problem you have.  Windows said it installed but then no boot.  If you can find an online list of BIOS commands for your PC I will be glad to look at them and see if I can remember what I had to change.  Or you can take digital pictures of the various pages and post them as attachments.

TruelyStumped

TruelyStumped

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well I'm posting from my phone right now and when I try to post any pics it says can't ... Low memory. I will post them when I figure it out. May have to use someone else's PC to do it. Shouldn't be too long.

Until then
Thanks

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

OK.  I don't lock posts so just reply when you get the chance.

TruelyStumped

TruelyStumped

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

OK coolio. Couldn't figure the phone out so I'm using someone else's laptop. 

I hope you can make out what it says. Sorry about the blur. Heheh. MotoG

I'm realizing I might need to take more pics of the advanced section. Let me know buddy.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20151217_151653128_HDR.jpg
  • IMG_20151217_151723542_HDR.jpg
  • IMG_20151217_162740153_HDR.jpg
  • IMG_20151217_151626432.jpg
  • IMG_20151217_151641718_HDR.jpg

Edited by TruelyStumped, 21 December 2015 - 07:07 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Under Advanced what do you see under Drive Configuration?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
For compatibility, the underlying Serial ATA functionality is transparent to the operating system. The Serial ATA controller can operate in both legacy and native modes. In legacy mode, standard IDE I/O and IRQ resources are assigned (IRQ 14 and 15). In Native mode, standard PCI Conventional bus resource steering is used. Native mode is the preferred mode for configurations using the Windows* XP and Windows 2000 operating systems.

Above is from https://downloadmirr...echProdSpec.pdfwhich uses the same BIOS as you are showing. so I think we are on the right track.  Look for Legacy as an option under Drive Configuration or Chipset Configuration or Peripheral Configuration.

TruelyStumped

TruelyStumped

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK. I changed the ide mode to legacy. However, same thing, just a blinking coursor. Hmm. Weird

TruelyStumped

TruelyStumped

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK. I changed the ide mode to legacy. However, same thing, just a blinking coursor. Hmm. Weird.

I just noticed under primary master it has the CD/DVD and it has the hard drive under secondary master. How would one get around that :-S

Also I put the hard disk drive at the top of the boot device priority. Still missing something apparently.

Maybe it has something to do with the cord that plugs into the hard drive? I don't know

Attached Thumbnails

• 14508122802341480755926.jpg

Edited by TruelyStumped, 22 December 2015 - 01:34 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Try reversing the IDE connections for the CD drive and the Hard drive.