Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update not working, cloning HD from 750 GB to 1TB (So

Best Answer SleepyDude , 18 December 2015 - 04:05 AM

Hi, Try to update the drive to version 11.7.0.1013 available at the Intel website https://downloadcent.../download/22194it seems newer versions of the driver aren't compatible with your system... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Leif W.

Leif W.

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Hi,

Earlier this week, my brother cloned my 750 GB Seagate hard drive to a new Western Digital 1TB hard drive. At first I thought everything was fine.  However, I noticed a couple of things

1) Windows Update no longer works.  When I try to run Windows update, I get a message "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running. You may have to restart your computer." I checked and the service is running.

2) I noticed internet explorer no longer saves settings.from when I login to web sties.  For example, every time I visit Facebook, I have to re-login. Prior to the clone, I did not have to do this.  Chrome works just fine.

I did some googling and I see others have run into this issue.  I'm hoping that you may have as well.

My system specs are below.

Dell Studio XPS 435T desktop PC
8 GB of memory
Intel i7 CPU 2.67GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS 
750 GB Seagate upgraded to 1 TB Western Digital

Thanks,
Leif W.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Open the Device Manager and expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

You should will see something like Intel... AHCI

Please post the full name listed, we need to ID the driver in use.

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Hi SleepyDude,

Thanks for the quick response.  The driver listed is "Intel® ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller".  I've also included a screen shot of device manager.  I also clicked on the properties and included that in the screen shot.

Controller.jpg

Thanks,

Leif W.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi,

Try to update the drive to version 11.7.0.1013 available at the Intel website https://downloadcent.../download/22194

it seems newer versions of the driver aren't compatible with your system.

After install check the Driver Properties on the Device Manager to see if it changed to year 2012.

Restart the system and try Windows Update, based on my experience on this it most likely will not work immediately and we need to do more...

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

HI SleepyDude,

Success!  I installed the driver as you instructed.  The installation went without a problem.  After the PC restarted, I checked Device Manager and I could see the driver was updated.  See partial screen shot below. I then tried Windows Update and it works correctly now.  Also, the strange behavior I was experiencing with Internet Explorer has been fixed as well.  I did want to mention something.  The next day, when I started my PC (I shut it down each night), I saw a message from Windows indicating that a SCSI driver was installed for my new hard drive. I have a Western Digital SATA drive.  I included a screen shot of the message as well.  Everything is running fine without issue.  I just want to mention this in case it raised any red flags with you.

Controller2.jpg                   AfterNewDriverInstallAndRestartNextDay2.jpg

Thanks,

Leif W.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

It's all good, sometimes the update of the Driver for the Disk controller makes windows to re-detect the Hard Drive.

I'm glad it worked for you.

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Thanks for all your help.  You can consider this issue resolved. Have a great holiday!

Leif W.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Ok. Thanks, Happy Holidays for you also.

If you like please click the button tick_10px.pngMark Solved on the bottom right of the topic.