Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

monitor says input signal out of range, nvidia issue

• Please log in to reply

skelphie

skelphie

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posting from my phone, sorry for formatting etc
I downloaded a new game (star wars the old Republic) yesterday and when i tried to open it my monitor went black and gave me an input signal out of range sign. Restarting didn't fix it- i can start in safe mode fine but i can't manually change the monitor settings there because it just gives me the safe mode settings.
I've had a similar issue with a different game where nvidia control panel decided to 'optimize' my settings but put them out of my computers range, but in that case i only got the monitor issue when the game was open-i could minimize out and have the monitor come back on.
I tried uninstalling my graphics drivers in safe mode and restarting- which worked for a moment but then windows automatically downloaded a driver and the screen went back to black.

I'm running windows 7,and my graphics card is an nvidia geforce gtx 660

Please help!

Advertisements

skelphie

skelphie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Update: i can disable the graphics driver in safe mode and successfully start the computer normally that way

skelphie

skelphie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Another update: i tried downloading the newest driver for my graphics (it wasn't up to date) and telling it to restore to default settings but that didn't work

skelphie

skelphie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just swapped monitors to see if that was causing the problem but the other monitor displayed the same error

skelphie

skelphie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Tried swapping out my vga cord for another one- no luck

skelphie

skelphie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm almost certain that if i could get in to nvidia control panel i could change the resolution settings there and fix this- but even though it appears in control panel when i try to open it nothing happens (presumably because I've had to disable the video card) and in safe mode with the card enabled the control panel isn't an option...
I've run out of ideas :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   skelphie,

Can you post your Mobo and PSU brand and model name or number details + let us know what CPU you have..

Couple of important tips for you;

Do not reply to your own OP or last reply as it may lead to your request for help being overlooked, staff and members who assist on the forums will always check out a topic that has not received any replies to see if they are able to help, if you reply to your own OP it will appear to others viewing the board that you have received a reply and so are already being helped.

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

skelphie

skelphie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Intel ® core ™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16gb ram

Thanks for letting me know, i was using the mobile version of the site so there was no edit option! I see the option to change it to full site now though

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Can you post your Mobo and PSU brand and model name or number details + let us know what CPU you have..

Please provide the other requested information, your CPU for example can produce video output but your MB may not.

skelphie

skelphie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm not too sure how to find that information! :( I've looked everywhere and tried using dxdiag but couldn't find any info other than that cpu

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Is your computer a custom build or a brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, post the brand and model name or number and we can do some research.

If a custom build, you will need to take the side off of the case and look for a sticker on the PSU like the example that I have attached, the MB details we can get if you run Speccy and post the url for us, see below;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you skelphie, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.