Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu and Windows 10 on same partition (Resolved)

- - - - -

Best Answer terry1966 , 21 December 2015 - 02:18 PM

ok if you still want to dual boot windows with ubuntu i suggest you read the following guide, please note all you really need is to use the 64bit version of ubuntu and boot the cd/dvd in uefi mode... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

76broadband

76broadband

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I recently made the unfortunate mistake of installing Ubuntu on the same HDD partition as my Windows 10 OS. This has created problems, and I'm wondering if there is a way to get rid of Ubuntu without formatting the partition. Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

Hello 76broadband,

Unfortunate indeed  :(

Not a Ubuntu user myself so in no way an expert here but one suggestion that I would make is to try uninstalling Ubuntu with Wubi, see guide here please note that you may need to do a repair installation of Windows 10 if any files have been overwritten and worse case scenario you may need to do a fresh installation of Windows 10.

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

As phill told you, using Wubi is the best way to get rid of it .

Don't forget to backup ur files before doing it.

oh one more question why did you install both OS in same partition ?

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

wubi installs ubuntu like any other windows program so ubuntu can easily be removed by going into windows install/remove programs and uninstalling it from there. all info is in the guide phill linked to.

i think wubi is not even supported by ubuntu anymore (since 2013.) so is not listed as a means of trying/installing ubuntu on their download page (doesn't work with windows newer than win7 because of booting issues with gpt/uefi i believe)

so am curious exactly what you used to install ubuntu and what problems your having because i doubt you used wubi to install ubuntu so that won't help you in this situation if i'm correct..

if you used the normal install media and selected the windows partition to install to then i'm afraid that would have formatted the partition when it installed ubuntu and your windows os would no longer be there needing you to reinstall your windows 10 os.

if you just mean it was installed to the same hard drive (usual option when installing ubuntu, says something like "install alongside windows" during installation options.) and not the windows partition then you just need to go into windows and under drive management remove the ubuntu partitions and resize the windows partition to now use the empty space, once that is done you'd need to edit the uefi bootloader and remove ubuntu so it then boots straight into your windows os.

sorry i didn't read your original post in the linux section of the forum before now and after reading that post, it does sound like you've used wubi to install ubuntu and that's the reason why you can't boot into it because it doesn't work on windows later than win7 and needs mbr type partition table. so a simple deletion of the 2 ubuntu folders in your windows 10 os (or uninstall from windows program manager.) will get rid of it, again instructions are in phils link.

i'm curious though because i can't think of what problems that would cause, so would be grateful if you could expand on exactly what the problems you are having, it may be nothing to do with the wubi install of ubuntu.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 18 December 2015 - 10:00 PM.

76broadband

76broadband

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

wubi installs ubuntu like any other windows program so ubuntu can easily be removed by going into windows install/remove programs and uninstalling it from there. all info is in the guide phill linked to.

i think wubi is not even supported by ubuntu anymore (since 2013.) so is not listed as a means of trying/installing ubuntu on their download page (doesn't work with windows newer than win7 because of booting issues with gpt/uefi i believe)

so am curious exactly what you used to install ubuntu and what problems your having because i doubt you used wubi to install ubuntu so that won't help you in this situation if i'm correct..

if you used the normal install media and selected the windows partition to install to then i'm afraid that would have formatted the partition when it installed ubuntu and your windows os would no longer be there needing you to reinstall your windows 10 os.

if you just mean it was installed to the same hard drive (usual option when installing ubuntu, says something like "install alongside windows" during installation options.) and not the windows partition then you just need to go into windows and under drive management remove the ubuntu partitions and resize the windows partition to now use the empty space, once that is done you'd need to edit the uefi bootloader and remove ubuntu so it then boots straight into your windows os.

sorry i didn't read your original post in the linux section of the forum before now and after reading that post, it does sound like you've used wubi to install ubuntu and that's the reason why you can't boot into it because it doesn't work on windows later than win7 and needs mbr type partition table. so a simple deletion of the 2 ubuntu folders in your windows 10 os (or uninstall from windows program manager.) will get rid of it, again instructions are in phils link.

i'm curious though because i can't think of what problems that would cause, so would be grateful if you could expand on exactly what the problems you are having, it may be nothing to do with the wubi install of ubuntu.

It causes problems with both operating systems, because both use two different file systems. If the partition is set to use one file system for one OS while the other doesn't use it, it causes problems. I'm no expert, but that I do know.

I'm not exactly sure what happened. It seemed that both operating systems were installed on the same partition, because apparently there were problems with my disk. This prevented me from using restore points. However, when I attempted to diagnose the disk, no problems were found. I figured since I just recently installed Ubuntu, that was what was causing problems.

While installing Ubuntu, it had an option to install alongside Windows Boot Manager. That's what I clicked, and I thought it installed on the same partition. I thought this mainly because I was not familiar with the new UEFI (I believe that is what it's referred to as) boot settings. When I started up my computer, I was expecting a boot message from Windows Boot Manager, but because of the UEFI boot settings, that did not show up. Because of this, I figured Ubuntu just messed up everything, and I would not be able to access it.

I did not use WUBI to install Ubuntu; I just downloaded it from the official website and installed it.

I believe this is just a mere misunderstanding on my part.

Thank you all for the replies, and I do apologize for this late one!

Edited by 76broadband, 19 December 2015 - 04:22 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

It causes problems with both operating systems, because both use two different file systems. If the partition is set to use one file system for one OS while the other doesn't use it, it causes problems. I'm no expert, but that I do know.

that's not really a problem, windows uses ntfs file system and linux can use a number of different file systems, ext4, btrfs, xfs are the most popular at the moment i think, windows will not read or write to the the linux file systems (even though it knows they are there, and will offer to format them to ntfs so it can use them.) but linux will read and write to the windows file system.

While installing Ubuntu, it had an option to install alongside Windows Boot Manager. That's what I clicked, and I thought it installed on the same partition. I thought this mainly because I was not familiar with the new UEFI (I believe that is what it's referred to as) boot settings. When I started up my computer, I was expecting a boot message from Windows Boot Manager, but because of the UEFI boot settings, that did not show up. Because of this, I figured Ubuntu just messed up everything, and I would not be able to access it.

ok so have you now deleted and reclaimed the extra disk space ubuntu was using on your hard drive, and are you having any booting problems now?

I'm not exactly sure what happened. It seemed that both operating systems were installed on the same partition, because apparently there were problems with my disk. This prevented me from using restore points. However, when I attempted to diagnose the disk, no problems were found. I figured since I just recently installed Ubuntu, that was what was causing problems.

are you still having problems with using restore points after removing ubuntu?

all part of our learning experience, i'm always confusing myself and misunderstanding things i know or should/did know. :D

we're glad to help and just want you to enjoy using your pc again without any issues.

Edited by terry1966, 20 December 2015 - 04:04 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

Thanks for the additional assistance terry  :thumbsup:

76broadband,

Your thread has been marked as answered, is that correct or do you still require assistance, if the latter please see below;

I'm not exactly sure what happened. It seemed that both operating systems were installed on the same partition, because apparently there were problems with my disk. This prevented me from using restore points.

As mentioned in my reply #2, if Ubuntu was installed on the same partition as Windows a repair or fresh install of Windows may need to be done due to it becoming corrupted/partially overwritten.

when I attempted to diagnose the disk, no problems were found. 

What tool did you use for the above.

Can we have an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager so we can take a look at the partitions.

Right click This PC > Manage > Disk Management.
Click Start Menu and then type Disk Management to search.
Click Start Menu and type cmd to open command line and then input compmgmt.msc and then click Enter.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

:thumbsup:

76broadband

76broadband

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Thanks for the additional assistance terry  :thumbsup:

76broadband,

Your thread has been marked as answered, is that correct or do you still require assistance, if the latter please see below;

I'm not exactly sure what happened. It seemed that both operating systems were installed on the same partition, because apparently there were problems with my disk. This prevented me from using restore points.

As mentioned in my reply #2, if Ubuntu was installed on the same partition as Windows a repair or fresh install of Windows may need to be done due to it becoming corrupted/partially overwritten.

when I attempted to diagnose the disk, no problems were found. 

What tool did you use for the above.

Can we have an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager so we can take a look at the partitions.

• Right click This PC > Manage > Disk Management.
• Click Start Menu and then type Disk Management to search.
• Click Start Menu and type cmd to open command line and then input compmgmt.msc and then click Enter.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

that's not really a problem, windows uses ntfs file system and linux can use a number of different file systems, ext4, btrfs, xfs are the most popular at the moment i think, windows will not read or write to the the linux file systems (even though it knows they are there, and will offer to format them to ntfs so it can use them.) but linux will read and write to the windows file system.

ok so have you now deleted and reclaimed the extra disk space ubuntu was using on your hard drive, and are you having any booting problems now?

are you still having problems with using restore points after removing ubuntu?

all part of our learning experience, i'm always confusing myself and misunderstanding things i know or should/did know. :D

we're glad to help and just want you to enjoy using your pc again without any issues.

I am not having trouble booting into Windows. I'm having trouble trying to dual-boot with Ubuntu. I am in a major mess right now with my operating systems.

I did delete the partition Ubuntu was formerly on, and I have reclaimed my disk space.

While trying to reinstall Ubuntu, it said "Install Ubuntu Alongside Windows Boot Manager". That's what I clicked, but there still is no Windows Boot Manager when I start my computer. However, I have read about UEFI (as mentioned before) and how it makes dual-booting Linux very difficult. Is there a way to fix this so that the Windows Boot Manager will show up when I start up my computer?

As for checking my disk for errors, I went to File Explorer > This PC > (right click) Local Disk > Properties > (Error Checking) Check.

I have not attempted to use any restore points (I did a factory reset).

My computer is an HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC.

Attached Thumbnails

• Disk Management.png

Edited by 76broadband, 21 December 2015 - 12:17 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
✓  Best Answer

ok if you still want to dual boot windows with ubuntu i suggest you read the following guide, please note all you really need is to use the 64bit version of ubuntu and boot the cd/dvd in uefi mode then choose the install alongside windows as you have been doing and everything should just work. :- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

also make sure you clean shutdown the windows os before starting the install because that can cause problems too :- http://www.thewindow...alize-windows-8

sorry i don't have a uefi pc handy to test install ubuntu on to see what problems may arise but with luck you won't need any further help after following that guide.

before you try again though can you tell us what the 218.45GB and 5.46GB partitions are used for? is that where ubuntu insatalled with the smaller 5.46GB partition being it's swap partition?

if so then i'd suggest deleting both and just leaving the space empty then try again making sure you are using the 64bit install media and the instructions from that guide and of course choose the install along side windows option as you have been doing.

Edited by terry1966, 21 December 2015 - 02:29 PM.

76broadband

76broadband

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

ok if you still want to dual boot windows with ubuntu i suggest you read the following guide, please note all you really need is to use the 64bit version of ubuntu and boot the cd/dvd in uefi mode then choose the install alongside windows as you have been doing and everything should just work. :- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

also make sure you clean shutdown the windows os before starting the install because that can cause problems too :- http://www.thewindow...alize-windows-8

sorry i don't have a uefi pc handy to test install ubuntu on to see what problems may arise but with luck you won't need any further help after following that guide.

before you try again though can you tell us what the 218.45GB and 5.46GB partitions are used for? is that where ubuntu insatalled with the smaller 5.46GB partition being it's swap partition?

if so then i'd suggest deleting both and just leaving the space empty then try again making sure you are using the 64bit install media and the instructions from that guide and of course choose the install along side windows option as you have been doing.

It finally works!

I ended up deleting the partitions that Ubuntu was using (as you suggested), turning off SecureBoot in my UEFI settings, and typing in the command in Windows (into an admin command prompt) bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi

After doing that, it finally works!

Thank you for the links, and thanks to everyone who helped!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

You are most welcome, glad to hear that with the help of terry you have got it sorted and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup:

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

:spoton:

welcome to the world of linux, hope you enjoy the experience and if you have any problems or need assistance here's a link to the ubuntu help and information page with links to official guides and ubuntu help forums :- http://community.ubu...lp-information/

that's probably the best place to go first but you can always ask your questions here in the linux part of the forum and we'll do our best to answer them for you.

personally i haven't used ubuntu (a deb. distro) for years and use opensuse (rpm distro) myself but in general linux is linux and it's just more or less the software managers that are different.