Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Crashes at 45%

• Please log in to reply

maddog10

maddog10

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hello Ive an Asus eeepc 1025c netbook which is crashing suddenly(shutting off instantly) around 45% ,before it was doing this, but at 25%. Googling suggested calibration, but the way it suggests it is what I'm doing. from shutdown fully charge the battery. Can anyone help stop this?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello again maddog10,

Couple of questions if I may;

How old is the battery.

Do you or have you continually used the netbook with the AC adaptor in use while the battery is in place.

Do you have Power4Gear Hybrid installed on the computer.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hi Phil.

Battery is exactly 3 years old.

No I can use the battery without the adaptor in place for around 3 hours

Power4Gear Hybrid: No its not installed

Its strange and I think the battery itself might just be done as it must shut off at the same mWh. I've been trying to download software to calibrate it other than the normal manual method, but they only give the capacity stats. I was going to include some stats, but they have recently started changing wildly almost as if the computer or programs can't measure it correctly at all. I've had wear levels stats of 20, 40 and now 10%. Normally when it crashes it recharges from the last %(Eg 38%).Last night I pulled out the plug after I booted it again and had been charging a couple of minutes. It Lost monitor function, so I did a cold shutdown and it started charging from 0%. After the full charge the current capacity was greater the total capacity! It still crashed on battery roughy after 3 hours though.

I bought a new charger about 5 months ago which wasnt the original spec one, but mostly matches. The connector fits, but is a little loose.

Original charger - 19V, 1.58A, 30W, 2.5.*0.7mm Size conncector

New one -             19V, 2.1A, 40W, 2.5.*0.7mm Size Connector

How old is the battery.

Do you or have you continually used the netbook with the AC adaptor in use while the battery is in place.

Do you have Power4Gear Hybrid installed on the computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello maddog10,

Is that No as in that you have never continually used the netbook with the AC adaptor in use while the battery is in place.

Original charger - 19V, 1.58A, 30W, 2.5.*0.7mm Size conncector
New one -             19V, 2.1A, 40W, 2.5.*0.7mm Size Connector

Those specs are fine, an ideal match would be better but as long as the volts are the same and the amps/watts exceed the original chargers output then you are fine, it is only a problem if the amps/watts are lower as the charger and the notebooks circuitry can overheat as it struggles to draw the power that it needs, the connector size is also correct and so should be fine as long as the polarity of the connector matches the port on the netbook.

Summary, the battery only lasting three hours is a sign that it is on its way out regardless of the present wear level stats that you mention above, even the lesser powered 3 cell battery that the netbook sometimes ships with should normally last for six hours, the six cell battery type should last up to 11/12 hours but depending on the type of use I suspect the latter would be more like nine hours.

If you have used the netbook every day or even every other day for the past three years then it is normal for the battery to start showing its age and wear and tear, ASUS use a chart to show how performance dips with time and use, you can see this here, another OEM brand Dell simply say it how it is;

Q How long does a Dell laptop battery last? When should I consider replacing mine? A All rechargeable batteries wear out with time and usage. As time and cumulative use increase, the performance will degrade. For the typical user, noticeable reduction in run time generally will be observed after 18 to 24 months. For a power user, reduction in run time generally may be experienced prior to 18 months. We recommend buying a new Dell laptop battery when the run time does not meet your needs

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Is that No as in that you have never continually used the netbook with the AC adaptor in use while the battery is in place.

I've used the laptop with the battery and adaptor both in at the same time and also Ive used both when its 100%

I can accept the battery is near the end of its lifespan, but the problem I asked was why is it suddenley cutting out when it shows 45% left and how can I get the laptop to indicate when this will happen. I suspect maybe sometime in the battery is wrong.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
I've used the laptop with the battery and adaptor both in at the same time and also Ive used both when its 100%

The keyword here is "continually" if every now and then the additional wear would be negligible, if done regular or for long periods of time the reduction in the overall battery life would be significant.

I can accept the battery is near the end of its lifespan, but the problem I asked was why is it suddenley cutting out when it shows 45% left and how can I get the laptop to indicate when this will happen.

The battery if faulty due to use could be putting out readings that are off, Windows then acts on the information and shuts down the computer, you can manually configure the low battery warning/s within Windows, excuse the title of the guide but see How to Set Low Battery Warnings on a Windows 7 or Vista Laptop for "how to"

I suspect maybe sometime in the battery is wrong.

If caused simply by being used then it is to be expected and therefore not wrong.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Thank you anyway. Setting the warnings won't make any difference unless I set it at 50% I guess.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Have you by any chance read the tutorial here

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

No thats not working.