Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASUS R500V Laptop Power Issue

• Please log in to reply

Slayer21

Slayer21

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Hi everyone,

So, my father had me take apart his ASUS R500V laptop to replace the speakers and the AC Power input. I was able to get those replaced fairly easily, but now, when I try to boot, there is a light that comes on with the power button and quickly shuts off. It will not show again unless I unplug the power cord and plug back in when there is no battery connected or when I disconnect and reconnect the battery when the battery is connected. I made sure to plug everything back in and to take pictures of how everything looked throughout. I thought this was going to work because for once, I didn't have to modify anything to get it all back together for a laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with the laptop computer. I know how frustrating this can be after a lot of work and it still doesn't work!

1 Please advise us why the speakers need replacing and what symptoms the laptop was displaying that made you replace the AC Power unit?

2 when you say AC power unit do you mean the black box/voltage dropper/charger that plugs into the wall socket? as no dismantling would be needed to replace this?

3 If its the DC Power jack that you replaced.... Like this:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B00NRFMR6K

then dismantling, is needed, but it's DC not AC.....did you replace it all as shown in the link?

4 Please let us know what ESD precautions you took when performing the strip down and reassemble... just a list will do.

post back and we will do our best to help

regards

paws

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

1. The speakers were replaced because of the sounds they were actually making compared to what they should have been making. The whole sound of them was off and I determined it wasn't driver or software related. Second, the DC jack would only work some of the time and it seemed like at certain angles. 

2. I meant the DC Power jack. I replaced that.

4. I used a wrist strap that was connected to a bare metal part of a metal bowl that I have with it touching my bare skin.

One thing I have noticed with this is that the power button and power status lights come on when you first plug it in, but then quickly go away.

Edited by Slayer21, 20 December 2015 - 07:41 AM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

OK well done

sounds good

:thumbsup:

did you replace it all as shown in the link?

Regards

paws

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Yes I did.