Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

won't Defrag

• Please log in to reply

nemedulomn

nemedulomn

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm tech support and have alot of users with large OST files. PST and Archive are turned off by GP. One user has 20.9GB in OST Reg hack in for 30 gig limit. wont defreag , in safe mode, using contig or xp defrag util. Any ideas why not or how to get this defragged it's killing outlook performance.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Move the file to another drive, defrag, then move the file back.

greekgoward

greekgoward

• Pip
  • 2 posts

This thread might provide some useful advice:
http://www.computing...iles/19665.html
I notice Outlook is being opened from the H drive, rather than the C drive. Are your users Telneting or remoting into their email clients? I also notice there's a (1) in the .pst file name. Was this file replaced or renamed at some point?
If the .pst file is corrupt and the repair tools don't fix it, you might be able to rebuild the user profile's email files from the email server, depending on what your email environment is. If you're running Exchange and the system is archiving user emails, you should be able to delete the user's Outlook profile, then recreate it in Outlook and have the Exchange server push back all the emails to the client. However, if the email server isn't archiving, then fixing the .pst file is your only real option.