Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading GPU in CM6330 (Solved)

GPU Upgrade

Best Answer twinz109 , 09 January 2016 - 01:07 AM

Alright thanks for all the help. Looks like all my promblems are resolved thanks again for everything and LATA! Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

twinz109

twinz109

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hello!!! Christmas is just around the corner and I'm buying a new GPU along with it. Now I have a CM6330 Asus Essentio series Desktop model CM6330. Its specs are 

Processor: Intel Core I7-3770 Ivy Bridge @3.40 GHZ.

PSU: 350W

Ram: 8GB

GPU: GTX 620 nvidia

Now the graphics card I'd like to buy is a GTX 970. I've done some research and discovered that I'd need to upgrade the PSU ( I plan on upgrading to a 650W PSU). The things that I need help on though is 1:Will my airflow in the case be sufficient. the dimensions of the case are 173 x 360 x 400 mm (WxHxD) and 242 x 480 x 513 mm (WxHxD) with Carton 2: Will my CPU bottleneck and I've had it for 2 1/2 years will it be a waste to upgrade GPU and wait and buy a new system. I've heard of cpu's holding back GPU's. 3: What model of GPU should I get. 

Thanks! 

Merry Christmas!

I was just reading another forum and saw techs asking for more details on the computer so here's some more info ;D Summary

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz 40 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. CM6330_CM6630_CM6730_CM6830 (LGA1155) 35 °C
Graphics
ASUS VS208 (1600x900@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 37 °C
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 (SATA) 35 °C
Optical Drives
DiscSoft Virtual SCSI CdRom Device
ASUS DVD RAM GH92N ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-

Edited by twinz109, 21 December 2015 - 08:51 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: twinz109 

No, it won't be a waste to upgrade as the basic specs are good, both PSU and GPU can b used in a future build. 

The case airflow may be an issue as only one case fan is fitted.   Ensure the new PSU is installed with the fan facing down into the case, this will help expel hot air.   You will need to monitor thermals, if too high, replace the rear fan with  a high performance high pressure one. 

Your CPU will not be a bottleneck with the GTX 970 4GB.   Although your CPU is not listed, it is very comparable to others listed, > http://www.tomshardw...chart-2015.html  Also follow the link about PSUs.

recommend a 80+ gold 550W PSU, more than enough for your total system draw and some to spare.

I recommend the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW+ GAMING ACX 2.0+  It is short, Length: 10.1in - 256.5mm, but you must measure between the back expansion slot and the hard drive cage.

It also dumps a lot of the heat out the back vent, so should help with case cooling.

http://www.evga.com/...2a-250a540c769d

If you let us know in which county you will purchase parts, we can source them for you.

Do you have more questions?

twinz109

twinz109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thanks for the response iammykyl. The country I live is the United States for the sourcing the parts. Also I beleive my case has only 1 fan and that would be a promblem could you recommend a good cool looking case!! 

Thanks!!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your welcome :thumbsup: 

Parts list, > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6HD6GX  Did you check available length for the GPU. 

I am unable to find the specs for your existing PSU, so you need to measure the bay, to make sure the new one will fit. The PSU dimensions, (WxLxH): 150.0 x 160.0 x 86.0 mm

I would upgrade the two parts first and see what temps are like, before looking at a case upgrade as it may not be required. 

"The case airflow may be an issue as only one case fan is fitted.   Ensure the new PSU is installed with the fan facing down into the case, this will help expel hot air.   You will need to monitor thermals, if too high, replace the rear fan with  a high performance high pressure one. "

twinz109

twinz109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Ok 1 last question (srry im very new to this stuff) Will my motherboard be compatible with the gpu like since it had a worse GPU than before will it be like a high enough tier of motherboard? 

Thanks, again for responding!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

No apologies nec, you need to be assured that everything will be OK.

Your MB will support the EVGA 04G-P4-3978-KR.   The MB is Intel H61 Chipset so it features are at the low end, may not support XMP.   Details are hard to find as the board s specific to Asus pre built systems, but the GPU will work.

Please post back when you have ordered the parts and we will give you the b est way of uninstalling the old drivers and installing the new ones. 

twinz109

twinz109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Ok I'm getting the GPU tomorrow and I think i'ma get this psu http://www.bestbuy.c...4&skuId=5381884is it a good one if not ill go ahead and get the other. Not sure about the case yet though I'm probably gonna get this https://store.nzxt.c.../s340-black-redas its the same as my friends but red...  

Edited by twinz109, 24 December 2015 - 10:13 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

It's an OK PSU, note, it is not modular and not 80+ certified. 

The case looks OK but You will need to do some more research.   It has USB top ports on the front, does your MB have a internal USB header?

What type of front panel header is on your MB,? that to connect the case switch and LEDS. 

twinz109

twinz109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Ok  after researching modular and not modular I now see why modular is better so ill get the one you linked ;D. Also how do I tell if it has USB top ports or an internal USB header. I know I have USB plugins on my pc on the top front. How would I check what kind of front panel header that's on my MB?, and lastely I'm going to upgrade my case just for a new look and I want to be sure on the airflow.

Edited by twinz109, 25 December 2015 - 03:10 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Wise decision to go for the modular PSU.

So you want to buy a new case and do the whole upgrade all at once???

Let's determine what MB you have first, there appears to be 3 revisions of the boards.

Download the English user manual from > https://www.asus.com...elpDesk_Manual/

On the left page thumbnails, click Page #7, MB Layout. Item #8 shows two USB headers.

On the left page thumbnails, click Page #26. this shows you have two headers, but only support USB 2.0, so you will need a case that has the right ports on the front/top.

Advertisements

twinz109

twinz109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

So my front usb ports show the normal  iJBf0.jpg(this is a pic from another forum), but the back part of my pc shows the 3.0 USB sign               R6Fkg.jpg? the case I ordered has 3.0 top front pluggins so will that make me unable to use them if so I'd been fine with ill just use the back of the motherboard for my keyboard and mouse pluggins.

Edited by twinz109, 25 December 2015 - 06:50 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Just had a good look at the NZXT case again and, NO, you will not be able to use the front USB 3.0 ports, also, it does not have a front bay to install a DVD drive.   Means that any software on discs will have to be transferred to Bootable USB flash stick.   For me it is a deal breaker.

Also, price, $ 69.99 + Shipping: $14.99 = $ 84.98

Some to look at, cost you less, my choice, APEVIA  @ $71.33 with the HDD hot swap bay, four fans pre installed, > http://www.newegg.co...144-290:$$$$$$$

• \

twinz109

twinz109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Ok its alright for me though if I cant use front usb ports or the disc because I never use that stuff but will all plugins work from the back? I already ordered the case and psu. Case be here friday. Also is there anything else I should look at regarding the mobo compatibility with anything else.I'm trying to learn as much as I can from building this PC as I am very interested in anything related to pc. Thanks for helping a fellow noob build his first PC :D! oh and should I mark solved the all the questions I asked that are solved?

Edited by twinz109, 27 December 2015 - 03:52 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

but will all plugins work from the back?

USB ports will work on the back panel.   If you do run out of ports, you can install a USB 2 or 4 port bracket that connects internally to the USB 2.0 header on the MB. prox $12.

Download your PSU manual, so you can look at it.

There should be no other compatibility problems.

When you start pulling you PC apart, will you still have access to the web to be able to see your MB manual?

No, don't mark "solved" yet. 

twinz109

twinz109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Yes I will have access to the web when i'm putting the pc together. My friend is coming over to help me put it together. For now I have no further questions. PC case will be here friday.