Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My parents' computer has malware on it [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Here's the Delfix Log. There was an error message that popped up in the middle of running it (basically the same as the one when I initially used the FRST tool last week), but the logs don't seem to show any errors. (It did delete a screencap I'd taken of the error from last week though - I guess it targets anything with the name FRST in it.)

Usually there is a registry backup made when FRST and Delfix run. But, some systems don't like the program, ERUNT, that does the backing up and will give that error. No worries there. :thumbsup:

There are a few followup things I'd like to discuss regarding getting this computer set up better. It's my parents' computer, and I'm wondering if there are any changes I can make to it to reduce the likelihood of them getting into this much malware again. Most of the stuff they do on this computer is checking facebook / email, news, and maybe some online shopping. My best guess for how they got so many malware items is just visiting too many clickbait articles, but I'm not 100% sure on this.

-What browser should I get them to start using. They currently use internet explorer. My preference would be Chrome or Firefox, but I'm not sure if there's a significant difference from a security standpoint. (The advice article in your post is from 2009. While I generally accept that Chrome and Firefox are better than IE, I'd like to be sure on this).

Personally, I use FireFox on my machines. Mostly because I can't stand Internet Explorer being so slow and dodgy. I've really gotten used to Firefox. A lot of that is personal preference.

-They currently have McAfee as their anti-virus and firewall. Is this good enough, or should I switch them to MSE and the Windows firewall?

I'd remove McAfee from the system. I've never been that impressed with it from a security standpoint. I have the free version of Avast anti-virus on my system which can be set to a pretty high level of security. I use the Windows firewall for instead of a third party because of it being a part of the Windows system overall.

-My home computer has no-script running along with Firefox. Ideally, I'd like to have something similar set up on this computer; however, in the past, their response has been to declare the internet browser broken and just go back to internet explorer. Is there some sort of solution that's a happy medium to this (filters out adware, but doesn't shut down a website to the point that they either disable the program or go to it in a different browser)? (This is why I opted to keep Java - I don't want them thinking something doesn't work and then trying to fix it or work around it.)

Considering their browsing habits, a good ad blocker like AdBlock Edge along with No Script will help provide some protection. I have both installed on my machine for protection. I also have the paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed on my machine for real time protection. Disclaimer: I do not work for or have any affiliation with Malwarebytes, I just love that program. :) As for their habit of switching back, I would install the AdBlock Edge and No Script plugins, and then walk them through, showing them what it does.

-There's a Firefox addon I have on my home computer that rates a website's overall safety and puts a green, yellow, or red circle by the website to indicate how safe it is. I think it's a McAfee addon, but I'm not 100% sure. Is there something similar for either Chrome or Internet Explorer?

I think this add on for Chrome WOT (Web of Trust) is similar to what you're using in Firefox. This is another program I use in researching malware. Here's a link to it in the Chrome Add-Ons site. :thumbsup:

https://chrome.googl...dpbikblnp?hl=en

Advertisements

jtg22

jtg22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Hello again,

I installed Unchecky and added web of trust to both firefox and chrome (it's the addon I was thinking of).  I've also tried making firefox the default web browser by going into options and selecting the "make default" tab.  This opened up a list of extensions and protocols that I have the option of setting the default program to.  Which of these do I set to firefox?

(The initial popup that firefox does to inform you that it's not the default browser made HTTP and HTTPS associated with firefox; however, it didn't do anything about the extensions or the FTP protocol.)

I tried looking for Adblock Edge under firefox addons, but apparently that addon hasn't been updated since March.  Is there somewhere else I should get it from?

EDIT:  As a final thought, this computer is flagged for a free windows 10 upgrade.  Should I just go ahead and start this, or tell my parents to ignore / delay the install?  I've heard from some people that the updater has become a bit more aggressive about trying to get the install done, and I'm not sure how well things will go if it finally just forces an install.

On the other hand, I'm not really sure if there's any advantage to updating to windows 10 at this time.  Certainly, I don't want to install it if doing so would somehow make the computer more susceptable to malware. 

Edited by jtg22, 30 December 2015 - 07:03 PM.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

I installed Unchecky and added web of trust to both firefox and chrome (it's the addon I was thinking of). I've also tried making firefox the default web browser by going into options and selecting the "make default" tab. This opened up a list of extensions and protocols that I have the option of setting the default program to. Which of these do I set to firefox?

Hello :)

Under the applications setting, all of the audio and video related items can be attributed to FireFox, but you'll need to install the Quicktime plugin. The other items such as PDF will need a plugin in as well. I'd suggest Foxit Reader for the PDF documents.

I tried looking for Adblock Edge under firefox addons, but apparently that addon hasn't been updated since March. Is there somewhere else I should get it from?

I don't think the add-on is being updated anymore at this time. The version that is available is the only one at this time that's being offered. I'm hoping the author will decide to start updating it again.

jtg22

jtg22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Hello again,

I've installed Foixt and changed all options in Firefox to open with it instead of adobe.  Quicktime was already set up.

Do I need to do anything about shockwave flash objects?  I've noticed that flash player crashes a lot (on this computer, my personal computer, and even the computer at my job). 

Do I ignore the extensions?  .html, .xht, and .xhtml are all saying that they're associated with internet exploerer.  (firefox options > general > "make default" under startup).

I think that's pretty much everything I can think of for now,

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

I've installed Foixt and changed all options in Firefox to open with it instead of adobe. Quicktime was already set up.

Hello :) :thumbsup:

Do I need to do anything about shockwave flash objects? I've noticed that flash player crashes a lot (on this computer, my personal computer, and even the computer at my job).

Make sure you have the most up to date version installed on the machine and see if that will help alleviate the crashing.

Do I ignore the extensions? .html, .xht, and .xhtml are all saying that they're associated with internet exploerer. (firefox options > general > "make default" under startup).

I would, no worries there.

I think that's pretty much everything I can think of for now,

No problem, if there's anything else, please let me know. :) I'll leave the thread open until the morning.

jtg22

jtg22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

There is one final concern I have regarding this computer.  Should I go ahead and have it do its free Windows 10 install?  My main concern here is if installing windows 10 would undo any of the work we've been doing over the past few days (or somehow make the computer more susceptible to malware).

My personal opinion would be to not install Windows 10, but I've been hearing from some people that the installer has been slowly but surely getting more aggressive in trying to push the program.  That being said, I'd rather install it now than have my parents inadvertently activate is at some point in the future. 

If I do install it, can I largely leave the computer alone to do its own thing, or is this something I (or someone else) would have to keep checking on?

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
You can do so if you wish, or you can use the tool that's been designed to remove that pushy little program from the machine. It wouldn't harm anything we've done, as the active malware has been killed and removed from the machine. I'm not certain about being there with it, as I've not upgraded either, but I would think someone would need to be there to answer any questions it would ask.

Here's a link to instructions on disabling the notification: http://www.majorgeek...windows_10.html

jtg22

jtg22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Hello again,

There's a minor last minute issue of sorts.  I set up the computer with Malwarebytes, the Windows Firewall, and MSE.  Unfortunately, MSE kept having an error of sorts where it thought that another virus scanner was present when there wasn't one (I uninstalled and deactivated McAfee).  So, I installed the free version of Avast in its place.  Avast is up and running fine, but I'm not sure what the best settings to have it on would be.  Is there a guide for inexperienced users for it?

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

There's a minor last minute issue of sorts. I set up the computer with Malwarebytes, the Windows Firewall, and MSE. Unfortunately, MSE kept having an error of sorts where it thought that another virus scanner was present when there wasn't one (I uninstalled and deactivated McAfee). So, I installed the free version of Avast in its place. Avast is up and running fine, but I'm not sure what the best settings to have it on would be. Is there a guide for inexperienced users for it?

Hello :)

Here's a link to a guide at winhelp.com that will lead you through configuring Avast. If you have any further questions in configuring it, please let me know and I'll be glad to walk you through my current configuration of Avast on my machine. :thumbsup:

https://www.winhelp....-antivirus.html

jtg22

jtg22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Hello again,

Thanks for your help with all of this.  I think I can get Avast set up from the instructions, so the issues(s) should be fully resolved at this point.

Thank you.

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Hello again,

Thanks for your help with all of this.  I think I can get Avast set up from the instructions, so the issues(s) should be fully resolved at this point.

Thank you.

You're quite welcome, it's my pleasure.  :)  If we can assist you again in the future, please don't hesitate to come see us. :thumbsup:

Safe surfing!

Pystryker :wave:

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.