Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speed up my PC (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 08 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

You have more than one AV installed and running and that is a bad idea, this will slow your computer down as the software fights for resources with the added danger that they may cancel each other... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Streetwise

Streetwise

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Is there a way to speed up my PC without reinstalling Windows (10)?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Streetwise,

There is no software that can speed up a computer and any that claim they can are at best a gimmick and at worst a danger and especially to the registry of the OS.

For best performance you need adequate hardware for the software that you run, plenty of free storage space on the HDD/SSD and to always uninstall unused software using the correct procedure, do not defrag a HDD too often and never an SSD.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you Streetwise, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Streetwise

Streetwise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I can't say how sorry I am phil. I just couldn't find my thread. Well I'll do what you said this evening.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No problem and thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

Streetwise

Streetwise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Here you are:

http://speccy.pirifo...BCywg2SYaPPeRnW

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

You have more than one AV installed and running and that is a bad idea, this will slow your computer down as the software fights for resources with the added danger that they may cancel each other out and leave you with no protection at all, see my canned text below;

Windows Defender
Windows Defender: Enabled
Antivirus
F-Secure Anti-Virus
Antivirus: Enabled
Company Name: Data Fellows
Product Version: 11.00.20240
Internetbeveiliging
Antivirus: Disabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
Windows Defender
Antivirus: Enabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date

Are you aware that Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer, information courtesy of admin here

Are any of these security products paid for versions (Defender asides) if yes, let us know which please.

Streetwise

Streetwise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Only F-secure is a paid av but I've got a trial version for about 6 months from my provider. I'm going to remove it.

I don't know which antivirus the system means when it says Antivirus: disabled. I used to have Avira but uninstalled it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Only F-secure is a paid av but I've got a trial version for about 6 months from my provider. I'm going to remove it.

After uninstalling the above, run Speccy again and post the updated url for us.

I don't know which antivirus the system means when it says Antivirus: disabled. I used to have Avira but uninstalled it.

Does this look familiar.

Streetwise

Streetwise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

That's the antivirus I had. I've uninstalled it.

http://speccy.pirifo...5expjotpyRCeHGU

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

That looks better but any improvement in performance at all.

As an asides, Speccy is only showing the one cumulative update for Windows 10, please check manually for  (KB3116900)

Streetwise

Streetwise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

The cumulative update is KB3124200

https://support.micr...n-us/kb/3124200

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The cumulative update is KB3124200

https://support.micr...n-us/kb/3124200

Not sure of the purpose of the above as I was suggesting that you try downloading missing cumulative update (KB3116900)

Streetwise

Streetwise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Oh, I misunderstood you. I just installed KB316900.

The laptop does start quicker since I got rid of F-secure. For the rest It's difficult to say if the performance has improved.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Oh, I misunderstood you. I just installed KB316900.

:thumbsup:

The laptop does start quicker since I got rid of F-secure.

Glad to hear it  :)

For the rest It's difficult to say if the performance has improved.

Only you will be able to judge that I`m afraid.

Let us know if you consider the issue resolved or if you would like us to take a look at what is installed/running on the computer.