Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell 660 Upgrade (Resolved)

Upgrade dell 660 graphics ram power

Best Answer phillpower2 , 25 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

Video card PSU Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Loveof777

Loveof777

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello, I am using the default Dell 660. I am told it does not have much space so I am looking for components accordingly.  I mainly use my pc for gaming and the setup gives a terrible experience to be frank.  I play games that call for a great amount of texture and fps killers like ark: survival evolved, and skyrim. the games could be beautiful and amazing but I am running them at 8fps on absolute lowest settings so it is hard to tell anything apart.  I would like to run it in hd 30+ fps and graphics between medium and high (I don't plan on running epic)

For starters I am looking at the EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti Superclock graphics card because I am told it is compact with still good performance.  Not to mention I really like the affordability.

My dell runs on 220W power if I read correctly, and I know that isn't nearly enough to run anything so I will have to get a power supply as well,  I am completely open to suggestions. keep in mind I just need the minimum that the graphics card asks for.

lastly I would like to upgrade the ram.  if I want better and easier gameplay I thought this may help give everything a fair amount of memory, I am looking at 2x8 
Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10.

I am asking if these two additions (and the power supply) are possible with my current setup.  and I am needing an idea on a cheap power supply that is just enough for everything.

Thank you ahead of time for the help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   Loveof777,

Is the computer at the link here the same model that you have.

lastly I would like to upgrade the ram.  if I want better and easier gameplay I thought this may help give everything a fair amount of memory, I am looking at 2x8 Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10.

For your intended use any more than 8GB of 1600MHz Ram would be a waste of hardware resources and your cash, no current games fully utilize 8GB of Ram and only programmers, video editors and CAD experts etc presently need anything more than 8GB of memory.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Loveof777

Loveof777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I believe that is the correct one. and thanks for the ram, I was told that ram would help but I also have been told that 8 gb is all that I need so I wanted to be sure. And about the graphics card?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Let us know if you are in the US or wherever and we will look for video card and PSU suggestions for you.

Loveof777

Loveof777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

yes I am in the United states. EST

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
✓  Best Answer

Video card

PSU

Loveof777

Loveof777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

thank you very much! so the graphics card should indeed fit and work for my setup?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

With the new PSU fitted first yes  :thumbsup:

I always suggest downloading the latest drivers for a new device first and saving them to a folder on the desktop, once the card arrives, you fit your upgrades, restart the computer in Safe Mode, install the drivers that you saved and then test your new hardware out, drivers for the card from here how to startWindows 8/8.1 in Safe Mode here

You are welcome btw  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

How are things going with the upgrades Loveof777.

Loveof777

Loveof777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Oh thanks for asking! I purchased both the power supply and gpu and installed them already. I am more than pleased! In one of the games I play I went from 8fps on he absolute lowest settings to 40-45 on high/ultra. Hanks for all the help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are most welcome  :) pleased to hear that you are happy with the upgrades and thank you for letting us know that all was well  :thumbsup: