Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not boot (video included)

hardware problem

Best Answer Apeside , 25 December 2015 - 12:20 PM

I think my computer is now ready for PC Heaven - the recycling bin. Thanks again for the kind help!   Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Apeside

Apeside

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hello,

My PC stopped working:

1. The computer will not turn off when I press the power button.

2. When I start the computer from the power switch in the back, it starts, but no beep and no signal to the monitor.

3. I've change the CMOS battery, but still the same problem.

4. If I press the power button in front of the computer then I see red light flashing, and there are 2 fans that intermediately starts and stops.

Here's a short video showing these problems:

https://www.dropbox....tartup.mov?dl=0

Appreciate any advice!

Cheers!

-David

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:    Apeside,

** A bad PSU or power button are my first thoughts, we cannot however tell from the video if the computer actually shuts itself down and restarts itself, that type of behaviour would suggest a system short, a loose memory stick/video card or a bad/loose power on button.

1. The computer will not turn off when I press the power button.

In the video you appear to press and release the power button quickly, what happens if you press and hold in the button.

2. When I start the computer from the power switch in the back, it starts, but no beep and no signal to the monitor.

Does the computer normally give out a single beep when it has completed the POST (power on self test).

3. I've change the CMOS battery, but still the same problem.

Always worth doing but the BIOS checks to see if the attached hardware is working correctly and the battery is only required to power the BIOS chip when the computer is shut down so that the boot sequence and time and date are kept current.

4. If I press the power button in front of the computer then I see red light flashing, and there are 2 fans that intermediately starts and stops.

** As per the above.

Can you post the brand and model name or number for the MB, CPU, add on video card and PSU.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi Apeside have you added new hardware recently ?

Apeside

Apeside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I've tried holding the power button for down from 5 to 10 seconds, but get the same results.

I've even tried unplugging the power cord and then pressing down the power button for a minute.

My computer would give off a single beep when booting up. There's no beep now.

I have not added any hardware recently.

I've attached the specs. I hope that will help. Thanks guys!

Attached Thumbnails

• Specs.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the hardware information and update Apeside  :thumbsup:

I was hoping that there was onboard graphics but alas not  :(

My computer would give off a single beep when booting up. There's no beep now.

With the computer disconnected from the wall socket, remove the memory stick/s, reconnect the power and turn the PSU switch to on, let us know if you get any error beeps.

Apeside

Apeside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ok, took the memory out and started the computer again, but there was no beep and it behaved  the same as in my video.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Ok, took the memory out and started the computer again, but there was no beep and it behaved  the same as in my video.

Having looked at your MB manual it appears that there is no onboard BIOS speaker fitted as standard and so to hear any error beeps one would need to have been retro fitted, no speaker = no error beeps, please see attachment below and get back to us;

Apeside

Apeside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

ok, took a pic; it seems like there's nothing connected there.

speaker.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

We will not get any error beeps then which is a pity as it would have helped with the troubleshooting  :(

Please do the following for us;

Disconnect the mains power.

Place a stick of Ram into DDR slots 1 and 3, these are the second and fourth slots away from the CPU.

Remove the video card.

Reconnect to the mains power, switch the PSU to the on position and let us know if the behaviour is the same.

Nice pic btw  :thumbsup:

Apeside

Apeside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I get the same behavior.

I see that there are a few more slots for the graphic card. Should I try inserting the card in another slot?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Please confirm whether or not the computer fans keeps running until you physically turn off the power on the PSU or wall socket.

I see that there are a few more slots for the graphic card. Should I try inserting the card in another slot?

Not at the moment no, this because the behaviour is the same with the card removed.

Apeside

Apeside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Yes, the fans are running. But when I press on the Power Button on the front of the computer then the CPU fan starts/stops and just like in the video the lights located on the upper right corner of the motherboard lights from green to yellow to red.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sounds like a short or bad case switch.

Disconnect the mains power.

Disconnect the case switch, reset buton, HDD LED and MSG/Sleep LED from the header on the MB.

Replace the video card in the original slot.

Reconnect  the PSU to the mains.

Turn the PSU switch to on.

Press the MBs power on switch to activate the PSU, see attachment below.

Post back with an update for us.

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I'm 99% sure it's your PSU can borrow one from someone and test it on your pc ?
Before you got this problem your pc restarted from time to time ? if you noticed anything weird before getting here pls tell us it might help .

Apeside

Apeside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

When I turn the PSU on the CPU fan works, but not the graphic card fan and there are no blinking lights.

When I push the MB power button then both fans start/stop intermediately and I get the blinking red lights.