Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer hardware problem. Sometimes no post/bluescreen

BSOD Hardware Problem No Post Memory

• Please log in to reply

tjcason

tjcason

• Pip
  • 3 posts

So I have an intermittent computer problem which is hard to repeat, so I was hoping that I'd explain what my computer is doing and hopefully it'll raise some red flags about what particular piece of hardware is having issues here.

I brought my computer to my parents house for Christmas break and as soon as I got home, the problem started. I plugged everything in, and the computer wouldn't post. I pressed the power button on the case, the fans spun up, but no display. I hard stopped it and tried again. Same story. 

This happened a few times and I opened my case and moved my graphics card to a different slot to see if possibly the slot on my motherboard had gone bad and I just wasn't getting display from that. It booted this time. Curious, I moved it back to its old spot, it booted again. Thinking it had rattled out of place somehow on the way, I thought my problems were over. I put everything back together and booted into windows, no problem, even played a few games. I ran chkdsk and it found no bad sectors and no corrupt data. I also ran Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials and neither turned up anything.

Two days passed and the computer still worked fine, then I woke up on Monday and started it and it wouldn't post again. Again I hard stopped it and pressed the button again, and it booted this time, no moving of graphics card required. It was a bit sluggish to boot but it did and I logged in, and about 5 minutes into loading on my desktop, I got a bluescreen: Code "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA ***STOP: 0x0000050 (0xFFFFF8A235BC8EF8, 0x000000000000000001, 0xFFFFF80003E0E627, 0x000000000000000005)"
This told me if it was the first time I'd seen it to just restart my computer and see if I got it again, so I tried again.

This time it booted normally, quickly too. Getting suspicious I began looking on the internet for what the code meant and after about an hour of searching, I decided to run Furmark to see if it was a power problem, the r9 280X by sapphire is a very power thirsty card after all. I ran the Furmark for about 10 minutes and decided to add a new level to it and opened up Prime95's blend test and immediately I got a different bluescreen : Code "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT *** STOP: 0x0000001A *0x000000000050003,0xFFFFF70001080000, 0x000000000000B45B, 0x00000000215BE049) "

I rebooted and ran Prime95's blend test and though my computer didn't bluescreen, the test immediately failed, suggesting there was a hardware problem. I thought this was a clear indication that my memory had started to fail so I got a copy of memtest86 and ran it for 36 hours, which was about 6 passes and got 0 errors. After this amount of time I began to think that it may just be a loose connection so I stopped the test, shut down, unplugged the machine, and unplugged and replugged every connection into and out of the motherboard.

That was last night. This morning I booted my computer and decided to do a timelapse video of a few hundred RAW files I took the other day, I opened up photoshop (Which has execution files on a different harddrive than the boot drive, a PNY 128 GB SSD) and started to load each of the 230 photos as layers with bridge, in the task manager I watched the memory usage rise to 70% when I suddenly got a third bluescreen: Code "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFF9600006E174, 0x00000000000000008, 0xFFFFF9600006E174,0x00000000000000000)"

So here I am today, confused as heck, just trying to figure out where to start to try to troubleshoot this issue. Could anyone lend some advice? My specs are below if they help. Thank you so much for your time in advance.

Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition
Corsair TX 750 - PSU
Sapphire r9 280X - GPU
AMD FX 6100 - CPU
16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance - RAM
ASUS M5A97 - Motherboard
WD Black 1TB - Boot Drive
Corsair Carbide 200r - Case

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

:welcome:    tjcason,

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

A physical test of the Ram run alongside Memtest is more accurate than testing all sticks together, please see my canned text below and with your MB individually test each stick in the blue DIMM slot A2 (the second one away from the CPU) first.

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

How to physically test your Ram.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket  and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.

Insert the first stick of Ram in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until the first stick of Ram has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.

Remove the first stick of Ram and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.

Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

tjcason

tjcason

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

It's just one dump (I may have deleted the others when I was cleaning up my PC trying to fix the problem. I did try one stick of ram in each of the slots and booted to make sure they all worked and then slowly added an additional piece and tried each slot with that one, and then another, and finally the last one. Is that sufficient?

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Photoshop is implicated as the cause of the crash and predominantly PROCESS_NAME:  Photoshop.exe which may be conflicting with the Windows driver MODULE_NAME: win32k

Did the problems arise before or after you installed the Photoshop software.

Please put testing the Ram on hold atm as we do not want you doing anything that may be unnecessary.

tjcason

tjcason

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Photoshop is implicated as the cause of the crash and predominantly PROCESS_NAME:  Photoshop.exe which may be conflicting with the Windows driver MODULE_NAME: win32k

Did the problems arise before or after you installed the Photoshop software.

Please put testing the Ram on hold atm as we do not want you doing anything that may be unnecessary.

The problems seem to be independent of the software. I've had it for a few years and the problem started a little over a week ago

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

No further crashes.

It is possible that a recent Photoshop update is causing the issue, one check that you can do is to disable Photoshop in msconfig to see if the computer still crashes, as the problem is intermittent it may take a while to determine if Photoshop is the cause as you will have to disable it every time you want to use the computer for anything other than working with the software. 

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.

Click on the Startup tab 

Disable Photoshop.

Reboot and see if the computer crashes.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Not heard back from you tjcason, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.