Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it possible to watch Netflix on Sony Trinitron TV?

sony tv netflix

• Please log in to reply

Lizzy87

Lizzy87

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

My parents have an old Sony Trinitron TV (Model No. KD-28DL11U) which they use with a Sky+HD box and wireless connector. I would like to enable them to watch Netflix on the TV. I understand you can't watch Netflix with Sky +HD but would it be possible to connect a laptop to the TV? My mum has a hp Pavilion g6 laptop. If so, how would I go about doing this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Lizzy

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Option 1:

If they have WiFi then you can use Amazon Fire TV Stick or Google  Chromecast or Roku Streaming Stick

http://www.trustedre...streaming-stick

I've only tried the Chromecast but it worked nicely.  The Chromecast plugs into a HDMI port which you probably won't find on an old TV but you can you can get an HDMI to  Component adapter and it will be pretty good. HDMI to Composite will also work but video is not as good. Amazon and Newegg have them.  You will also need cables 3 component + 2 audio or 1 Composite + 2 audio as most adapters don't come with cables.  There is a small power adapter that will need a place to plug into.

Option 2: (not as nice since to play a video they will have to get up and walk to the TV to run it (Unless you add a wireless mouse and keyboard) and it ties up the laptop. )

It appears the G6 has an HDMI output so you might try directly connecting it to the TV (or with an adapter) but there have been a lot of complaints about the G6 see:

http://h30434.www3.h.../1081213/page/2