Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What coding language you know ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

I know java, i started with the basics then oop and now am learning gui so that's all for me only one language so far and i'm not perfect i still have a lot to learn in java before moving to something else .

What about you ?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Algol 56 was the first back in 63 then had to switch to  Fortran when they replaced the old computer.  Did some assembly programming in 6800, 8080, and Z80 in the 70s..  BASIC when I got my first PC, Smalltalk, Word Basic, Perl, Javascript and some C & Visual Basic 

Wouldn't claim to be an expert in any of them tho.

Ron

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Good collection RKinner, glad to meet someone who like to code here .

Hope i'll meet more .

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

I wrote my first program in BASIC IN 1974. Since then I've dabbled with Assembler, C, C#, VFP, Java, Pascal and Python. I like VFP the best as it's so quick to develop in yet has full access to the Windows API. I loathe all dot net - massively bloated languages.

I'm not a web expert but although I use HTML5 and CSS, I'm lazy and use Adobe Muse to do the hard work.

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Hi, as I am a web developer, I know HTML, CSS, C#, and ASP.NET. And, these languages are the best to be a successful developer.

Hello carolbert as a web developer don't you use javascript ?

I wrote my first program in BASIC IN 1974. Since then I've dabbled with Assembler, C, C#, VFP, Java, Pascal and Python. I like VFP the best as it's so quick to develop in yet has full access to the Windows API. I loathe all dot net - massively bloated languages.

I'm not a web expert but although I use HTML5 and CSS, I'm lazy and use Adobe Muse to do the hard work.

Good collection azarl are you expert with those language or still learning ?

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
Good collection azarl are you expert with those language or still learning ?

I'm pretty good with some of them, I write my own webservers and security stuff in VFP and MS Visual C (pre-dot net) - 41 years programming, but still learning

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
41 years programming wow .
i'm not surprised that your still learning in coding there's always something new to learn.

RonWesley

RonWesley

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

I am interest in coding, but I only work with Python and I wanted to try learning CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Would someone be able to give me a brief description of each one and what they are best used for? 

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
HTML is a markup language for describing web documents (web pages). HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. A markup language is a set of markup tags. HTML documents are described by HTML tags. Each HTML tag describes different document content.

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a style sheet language used for describing the presentation of a document written in a markup language.

JavaScriptis a high-level, dynamic, untyped, and interpreted programming language.Alongside HTML and CSS, it is one of the three essential technologies of World Wide Web content production.

Gman147

Gman147

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

I'm decent with Java, that's about it.

Advertisements

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

I'm decent with Java, that's about it.

Great my friend i think we should try to make the coding section here more active :)

DavidNode

DavidNode

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

i know a lot of html, css, javascript, jquery and a little bit of php for now

Angoid

Angoid

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 233 posts

You need to know a good number of languages and technologies nowadays, and I've had quite a bit of experience in some but some (a lot, actually) more from an interest point of view rather than a professional one.  But here goes:

BASIC (ZX Basic, BBC Basic, Harris H500 Basic)

PASCAL (at college)

COBOL (at college)

6800 Assembler

6502 Assembler

Z80 Assembler

x86 Assembler (a little bit)

C

HTML (more experience with 4.01, need to get going with 5)

CSS

JavaScript

PowerBuilder (a previous job required this)

Some flavours of SQL

PHP

VBScript (I guess this counts!!!)

Sounds more impressive than it is really as I've done more in some than others and in some cases it's just been dabbling (due to lack of time).  Would love to get some experience in technologies such as Java, C++ and C# ...... time ....

FBE34

FBE34

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm learning Java currently. I'm enjoying the process in its entirety. I look forward to contributing and learning here with everyone. Good luck on your journey with Java  :D

Gman147

Gman147

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm learning Java currently. I'm enjoying the process in its entirety. I look forward to contributing and learning here with everyone. Good luck on your journey with Java  :D

Java is a neat language, it's what I develop most of my stuff with. Have only made 1 application I can say I'm proud of though :P